Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Al Sparks

Default CUPS and system-config-printer question

I was tasked with migrating a bunch of printer entries from one box to another.

What I did is I got a list of printer names along with IP addresses and using the CUPS
lpadmin -p printer-name -E -v lpd://IP_ADDR/lp

I loaded them onto the new machine running RHEL 4.6.

Printer tests show that it works fine. And if I use the CUPS web interface at
http://localhost:631
Everything shows up.

But if I launch the RH (and presumably CentOS works the same way)
system-config-printer
interface after adding the printers the CUPS way, nothing shows up in the RH interface.

Probably not a big deal, but I have a colleague that will go nuts over this. He's attached to his interfaces, but there was no way I was going to manually enter those printers in that interface.

Where do I look to make that interface "see" the CUPS-only printers?
=== Al

Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
"John"

Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Timothy Murphy

John wrote:

> Where do I look to make that interface "see" the CUPS-only printers?

As a matter of interest, why do you want to use system-config-printer?

I've always found this completely useless,
while the CUPS web interface seems quite straightforward.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Al Sparks

> > Where do I look to make that interface "see"
> the CUPS-only printers?
>
> As a matter of interest, why do you want to use
> system-config-printer?
>
> I've always found this completely useless,
> while the CUPS web interface seems quite straightforward.

I completely agree. I'm just trying to make a colleague happy.

In fact, I am more of a CLI guy, and prefer to use xadmin to add, remove and configure printers.

But you're right, the CUPS interface is actually more straightforward
than the system-config-printer interface.
=== Al

Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-11-2008 4:17 PM Al Sparks spake the following:

[...]

Did you try this?

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PrinterDefinitions

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 7-11-2008 4:17 PM Al Sparks spake the following:
>>
>> I was tasked with migrating a bunch of printer entries from one box to
>> another.
>>
>> What I did is I got a list of printer names along with IP addresses and
>> using the CUPS
>> lpadmin -p printer-name -E -v lpd://IP_ADDR/lp
>>
>> I loaded them onto the new machine running RHEL 4.6.
>>
>> Printer tests show that it works fine. And if I use the CUPS web
>> interface at
>> http://localhost:631
>> Everything shows up.
>>
>> But if I launch the RH (and presumably CentOS works the same way)
>> system-config-printer
>> interface after adding the printers the CUPS way, nothing shows up in the
>> RH interface.
>>
>> Probably not a big deal, but I have a colleague that will go nuts over
>> this. He's attached to his interfaces, but there was no way I was going to
>> manually enter those printers in that interface.
>>
>> Where do I look to make that interface "see" the CUPS-only printers?
>> === Al
>
> Did you try this?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PrinterDefinitions

If I'm not mistaken, the printconf command has been deprecated and is
no longer available in CentOS-5 ??

Akemi

Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-14-2008 3:14 PM Akemi Yagi spake the following:

[...]

But poster did mention CentOS 4.6 as the new box, so I assumed the old box was
at least that.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Scott Silva

[...]

I mean't to say poster mentioned RHEL 4.6...

Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 7-14-2008 3:14 PM Akemi Yagi spake the following:

>>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PrinterDefinitions
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the printconf command has been deprecated and is
>> no longer available in CentOS-5 ??

> But poster did mention CentOS 4.6 as the new box, so I assumed the old box
> was at least that.

Ah, I missed the original post. Then, it's just ... ahem ... the wiki
page needs some update with a note for CentOS-5 users.

Akemi
(looking at Ralph)