Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Is there a FC8 update repo out there?

So I need python 2.5.1, and all of its dependecies.

And 2.5.1 is at least in FC8. So this leads to wanting to try to do the
update right via yum, thus needing a repo. Does such a thing exist? I
find a directory out there, but no repodata directory with it:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/testing/8/

Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:02:18AM -0700, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> So I need python 2.5.1, and all of its dependecies.
>
> And 2.5.1 is at least in FC8. So this leads to wanting to try to do the
> update right via yum, thus needing a repo. Does such a thing exist? I
> find a directory out there, but no repodata directory with it:
>
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/testing/8/

I'm guessing you'll spark a nice discussion on this, but in general,
replacing or upgrading the system version of Python is a bad idea.
Many OS tools are written against the specific version of Python that
comes with your version of CentOS... updating it not only would result
in lots of complaints from RPM, but probably would break a lot of stuff
too.

I'm not sure if there's a "great" way to have concurrent version of
Python installed cleanly or not... the Python project itself used to
maintain some RPM's and a Yum repo, but I believe that project is
somewhat dormant and last time I tried it it still wasn't a real smooth
process.

I think most will recommend you build from source and install somewhere
like /opt or /usr/local...

My $0.02 anyways.
Ray

Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

[...]

How do I find out if Python 2.4.3 contains abi?