Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Finding a python module

A colleague supplied me with a set of rpms he built on his Fedora box
and when I tried to install them with yum localinstall I got a missing
dependency:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package hipl-doc.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
---> Package hipl-tools.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 for package: hipl-tools
---> Package hipl-firewall.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
---> Package hipl-lib.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 for package: hipl-lib
---> Package hipl-agent.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
---> Package hipl-debuginfo.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
---> Package hipl-test.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
---> Package hipl-daemon.i386 0:1.0.4-1 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package hipl-lib
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package hipl-tools

Centos 5.2 provides python 2.5.1. My colleague's system where he made
these rpms also has 2.5.1. How do I determine what rpm I need to
install to get this dependency?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package hipl-lib
> Centos 5.2 provides python 2.5.1.

Are you sure?

On an up to date system:

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
# rpm -q python
python-2.4.3-21.el5
# rpm -q --provides python | grep -Fw 'python(abi)'
python(abi) = 2.4

You should look at where your friend got this Python from.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Felix Schwarz

Robert Moskowitz schrieb:
Centos 5.2 provides python 2.5.1.

Nope. CentOS 5.2 comes with Python 2.4 only!

fs

Old 07-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package hipl-lib
Centos 5.2 provides python 2.5.1.

Are you sure?

On an up to date system:

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
# rpm -q python
python-2.4.3-21.el5
# rpm -q --provides python | grep -Fw 'python(abi)'
python(abi) = 2.4

Oh, interesting. I got the same answer, but I also get:

# python -V
Python 2.5.1

So which is it?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Oh, wow, is my system hosed now....

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package hipl-lib
Centos 5.2 provides python 2.5.1.

Are you sure?

On an up to date system:

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
# rpm -q python
python-2.4.3-21.el5
# rpm -q --provides python | grep -Fw 'python(abi)'
python(abi) = 2.4

You should look at where your friend got this Python from.

Some more testing shows

# python -V
Python 2.4.3

as well. He had me download the 2.5.1 source for Python and compile it.
Of course that broke the previously installed rpms, like yum!

I am going to either have to find 2.5 that I can install on Centos (from
a Fedora box), but that will most likely break even more things. Or get
him to build a Centos box and do the build there...

Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Oh, wow, is my system hosed now....

Yes, for sure! Replacing the system's python is a pretty bad idea
these days, as many of RedHat's tools depend on it.

> I am going to either have to find 2.5 that I can install on Centos (from a
> Fedora box), but that will most likely break even more things.

Yes it will. Restore the one from CentOS by reinstalling the CentOS
RPM with --force.

> Or get him to build a Centos box and do the build there...

You can do that on your own box (after you fix it). Just get the
source rpm (.src.rpm) file, install the "rpm-build" package, and then
use the "rpmbuild" command to build the package.

Basically the steps to configure rpmbuild to work on your machine are:

$ mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
$ echo '%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild' >~/.rpmmacros

And then to rebuild a source rpm:

$ rpmbuild --rebuild xxxxxx.src.rpm

By the way, do we already have something on CentOS Wiki to help people
build their own RPMs? I think this would be helpful, since it's not
that easy to find that information from the man pages and
documentation.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically the steps to configure rpmbuild to work on your machine are:
>
> $ mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
> $ echo '%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild' >~/.rpmmacros
>
> And then to rebuild a source rpm:
>
> $ rpmbuild --rebuild xxxxxx.src.rpm
>
> By the way, do we already have something on CentOS Wiki to help people
> build their own RPMs? I think this would be helpful, since it's not
> that easy to find that information from the man pages and
> documentation.

Not as a separate page but as part of the Kernel Source Wiki article:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source#head-a8dae925eec15786df9f6f8c918eff16bf67be0d

Yes, it is probably a good idea to provide its own wiki page because
rebuilding from srpm is frequently asked in other places as well (like
IRC and forums).

Akemi