Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM
"Gergely Buday"

Default command line configuration of DSL access

Hi there,

how can I configure a DSL access using the command line? The Red Hat
Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide does not describe this and I
could not find any description on the internet.

- Gergely

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Michel van Deventer

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 12:13 +0200, Gergely Buday wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> how can I configure a DSL access using the command line? The Red Hat
> Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide does not describe this and I
> could not find any description on the internet.
Maybe you can provide us with some more information, as like which
provider are you using in which country, what kind of hardware are you
using to connect to DSL (router/pci card?), which version of CentOS are
you using and maybe other info that might be of use ?

kind regards,

Michel

Old 07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
"Gergely Buday"

Michel van Deventer wrote:

>> how can I configure a DSL access using the command line? The Red Hat
>> Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide does not describe this and I
>> could not find any description on the internet.
> Maybe you can provide us with some more information, as like which
> provider are you using in which country, what kind of hardware are you
> using to connect to DSL (router/pci card?), which version of CentOS are
> you using and maybe other info that might be of use ?

The case is that I used the GUI for my fedora box and now would like
to set the same to my centos server that would be the firewall. I use
eth0 to connect to my service provider's network. When I set up on
fedora I choose DSL and gave login name and password and worked out of
the box. I use CentOs 5.1 on my server.

I would like to use an editor better than the GUI to configure this.
My provider is Digi Tv in Hungary.

I wonder why do you need all this, isn't there a good description of
the config scripts somewhere?

- Gergely

Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Gergely Buday wrote:

Michel van Deventer wrote:

how can I configure a DSL access using the command line? The Red Hat
Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide does not describe this and I
could not find any description on the internet.

Maybe you can provide us with some more information, as like which
provider are you using in which country, what kind of hardware are you
using to connect to DSL (router/pci card?), which version of CentOS are
you using and maybe other info that might be of use ?

The case is that I used the GUI for my fedora box and now would like
to set the same to my centos server that would be the firewall. I use
eth0 to connect to my service provider's network. When I set up on
fedora I choose DSL and gave login name and password and worked out of
the box. I use CentOs 5.1 on my server.

I would like to use an editor better than the GUI to configure this.
My provider is Digi Tv in Hungary.
adsl-setp does the configuration. Then there is an adsl-start script.
But I set my ifcfg-ppp0 file to bring the ppp0 interface up at boot time
and it does. A 'simple' service network restart or:

ifdown ppp0 ; ifup ppp0

bounces the connection nicely.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
"nate"

Gergely Buday wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> how can I configure a DSL access using the command line? The Red Hat
> Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide does not describe this and I
> could not find any description on the internet.

For my DSL it's pretty simple:

ifconfig eth0 216.39.174.24 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 216.39.174.1

And off I go ..(until I reboot so I put the network config in the
right location)

My DSL modem is in bridged mode and I have direct IP access. I don't
think it gets any easier. It's like having a direct ethernet drop.
And I have 4 static IPs to play with.

nate

Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Alex White

Gergely Buday wrote:

Michel van Deventer wrote:

[...]

We need all of that because how you set up your dsl depends upon how
your provider provides you with access. pppoe or pppoa etc. etc.

At any rate, as mentioned by others you can use adsl-setup to configure
your connection, or if you want to edit some text files manually you can
have a peek in /etc/ppp/

The files of particular interest would be, pap-secrets, chap-secrets,
and pppoe-server-options.

You may want to man adsl-setup and make note of the various references
it makes.

HTH

Alex White