Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Mikael Fridh

Default redirecting when behind a firewall

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:29:18PM -0700, bruce wrote:

> So i don't have the ability to do something like "forward foo.gotdns.com to
> machine1, and forward foo2.gotdns.com to machine2" which is exactly what i'm
> trying to accomplish!!

You wrote a really long mail so sorry if I missed some of your intentions but
here's some pseudo-code showing an example ...

DNS
===
foo.example.com. IN A 123.123.123.123
foo1.example.com. IN CNAME foo.gotdns.com
foo2.example.com. IN CNAME foo.gotdns.com

ROUTER
======
redirects all WAN traffic to internal LAN server:
WAN: 123.123.123.123 => LAN: 192.168.0.10

FRONT-END APACHE (192.168.0.10)
================
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName foo1.example.com
ProxyRequests Off
<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass / http://internal1.foo.example.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://internal1.foo.example.com/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName foo2.example.com
ProxyRequests Off
<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>
ProxyPass / http://internal2.foo.example.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://internal2.foo.example.com/
</VirtualHost>

Now all you need is to set up internal[12].foo.example.com as either vhosts or
on physical web servers.

That's one possible solution. Others might be more complex load balancer
setups.

--
Fridh