Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support?

How did I get this?

I am current on my 5.2 upgrades on this system. Running kernel:
2.6.18-92.1.6.el5

I did a service network restart and got:

Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
[ OK ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

/etc/sysconfig/network has:

NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=onlo.htt-consult.com

and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 has:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:50:8B:A1:FE:1C
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=onlo.htt-consult.com
IPADDR=208.83.67.148
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
GATEWAY=208.83.67.145
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
PEERDNS=no

A system on this subnet is supposedly running radvd.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
"Sean Carolan"

> CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
> [ OK ]
> FATAL: Module off not found.
> CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

Try looking inside /etc/modprobe.conf for these lines:
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

If those are in there then ipv6 will be disabled at boot.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Sean Carolan wrote:

CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
[ OK ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

Try looking inside /etc/modprobe.conf for these lines:
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

If those are in there then ipv6 will be disabled at boot.
Yep. They are there. So what is the 'proper' method to get them out
(other than using VI and deleteing the lines?)?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
"Sean Carolan"

> Yep. They are there. So what is the 'proper' method to get them out (other
> than using VI and deleteing the lines?)?

I would comment them out and add another comment like this:

# Un-comment these to disable ipv6
#alias net-pf-10 off
#alias ipv6 off

You will need to reboot the server to enable the changes. IIRC, ipv6
is not a module that you can load or unload anytime like a network or
sound card driver.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan@gmail.com> wrote:
> You will need to reboot the server to enable the changes. IIRC, ipv6
> is not a module that you can load or unload anytime like a network or
> sound card driver.

No, not at all. If you just try to "ifconfig" after commenting the
lines, the module should be loaded fine.

The only problem would be to unload the module once it's in use,
because for that you have to stop everything that is using it, which
is certainly trickier.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-10-2008 1:11 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Sean Carolan wrote:

CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support
[ OK ]
FATAL: Module off not found.
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

Try looking inside /etc/modprobe.conf for these lines:
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

If those are in there then ipv6 will be disabled at boot.
Yep. They are there. So what is the 'proper' method to get them out
(other than using VI and deleteing the lines?)?

You can use joe, emacs, vi ... whatever editor you want. ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Sean Carolan wrote:

Yep. They are there. So what is the 'proper' method to get them out (other
than using VI and deleteing the lines?)?

I would comment them out and add another comment like this:

# Un-comment these to disable ipv6
#alias net-pf-10 off
#alias ipv6 off

You will need to reboot the server to enable the changes. IIRC, ipv6
is not a module that you can load or unload anytime like a network or
sound card driver.

OK. This worked. Thanks!

Since I was SSHed into the boxes, I could not test ifconfig (down then
up!). service network restart did not do the job, I had to reboot the
boxes (one's my repo server the other a NAS, so both could be bounced).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Since I was SSHed into the boxes, I could not test ifconfig (down then
>up!).

Just so you know, you can do this type of thing even with SSH.
(I don't know what would of helped that situation, but for future ref...)

#echo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 | at now

through ssh will work fine, and you will still be connected after

jlc

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

Since I was SSHed into the boxes, I could not test ifconfig (down then
up!).

Just so you know, you can do this type of thing even with SSH.
(I don't know what would of helped that situation, but for future ref...)

#echo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 | at now

Oh, neat. Didn't know how to do down and up in one command line without
writing a script.

through ssh will work fine, and you will still be connected after

Not any real difference from doing a service network restart. When your
interface goes down, SSH just waits until the interface comes up, and
then you get all the messages that occurred between those two events. I
am going to have to note this command for future use (it is kind of like
an ifbounce command ).

Fri Jul 11 03:30:04 2008

autolearn=failed version=3.2.3