Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Emmanuel Borlet

Default Slow samba and Realtek card

Hello,

We can see
# lspci
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

I have used a custom kernel to start with centos 5.1 as an initial
installation

Our customer on this kernel has experienced slow pref on samba shares (50
seconds to open a file)

So I have decided to updrade to centos 5.2 that have the right detection of
this card inside (2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.centos.plus)
[<http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/CentOS5/RealTek/r1
000?action=show&redirect=HardwareList%2FCentOS5%2F RealTek%2Fr1000>]

# yum update
# reboot

The slow samba shares didn't disapear at all !

I have corrected the trouble by doing this :

# cd /usr/src/
# curl -O ftp://218.210.127.132/cn/nic/r8101-1.007.00.tar.bz2
# tar jxvf r8101-1.007.00.tar.bz2
# cd r8101-1.007.00
# make clean modules
# make install
# depmod -a
# insmod ./src/r8101.ko
# reboot

After the reboot we can see that the r8101 module has been activated

# dmesg | egrep -i r[0-9]{4}

Finaly the slow samba share was gone ! (on 10 servers)

Cordialement

Emmanuel Borlet
Service développement

RFI Informatique
Groupe Yoni
8 & 12 avenue Pierre-de-Coubertin
ZI Percevalière
38170 Seyssinet-Pariset
France

http://www.rfi-informatique.fr/
http://www.phebux.net/

Tél : +33 (0)4 76 84 25 84
Fax : +33 (0)4 76 84 25 85

Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
"Miguel Filho"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Emmanuel Borlet
<emmanuel.borlet@yoni.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We can see
> # lspci
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
> PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Change the network card, period. I have a laptop with an R8168 and
even using kernel 2.6.25 the card just suddenly stops working. If I do
an rsync on a LAN, the card holds up to 300mb of data transfer and
stops working again. I always have to reboot. No errors, nothing. I
have seen many people complaining about this card on the IRC channel
too.

Miguel

--
http://osysadmin.blogspot.com

Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-12-2008 9:00 AM Miguel Filho spake the following:

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Emmanuel Borlet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Change the network card, period. I have a laptop with an R8168 and
even using kernel 2.6.25 the card just suddenly stops working. If I do
an rsync on a LAN, the card holds up to 300mb of data transfer and
stops working again. I always have to reboot. No errors, nothing. I
have seen many people complaining about this card on the IRC channel
too.

Miguel

I don't know if it is the chipset in general, or that the manufacturers that
use these chips skimp on cache memory, but I have always had less than stellar
performance with realtek cards.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and