-   -   Shell Script Question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/122112-shell-script-question.html)

"Stephen John Smoogen" 07-10-2008 12:30 AM

Shell Script Question

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> What's the simplest way to increment the number 0000 up by one until some other 4 digit number while
> preserving leading zero's until the 1000's has a digit other than 0?

Your homework done in a snap!

for (i=0; i<1000;i++); do
printf "%04d
" i
done

> Thanks!
> jlc

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

"Joseph L. Casale" 07-10-2008 12:37 AM

Shell Script Question

>Your homework done in a snap!

Lol, nah, not homework :P
I don't know what I was thinking, long day. OTH, I never seq could do this as well!

Thanks!
jlc

Stephen Harris 07-10-2008 12:51 AM

Shell Script Question

> What's the simplest way to increment the number 0000 up by one until some other 4 digit number while
> preserving leading zero's until the 1000's has a digit other than 0?

Lots of answers, depending on the shell. I like this version for ksh:

typeset -Z4 a=-1
while (( a++ < 1000 ))
do
print $a
done

Not enough use is made of typeset :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

"Les Bell" 07-10-2008 01:06 AM

Shell Script Question

"Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

What's the simplest way to increment the number 0000 up by one until some
other 4 digit number while
preserving leading zero's until the 1000's has a digit other than 0?
<<

Easy:

$ seq -f %04g 0000 9999

Best,