Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
MHR

Default Evolution in CentOS 5.2

(Probably OT)

Has anyone else noticed these flaky (new?) behaviors in Evo since the
5.2 upgrade:

- REALLY slow saving messages from inbox to another folder
- search capability separated by folder instead of overall (with no
option for control)
- failure to autocomplete email addresses for known contacts

I think that's it. I was wondering if it was just me, or if others
had noticed this. (If it's just me, there is no need to reply....)

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:27 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed these flaky (new?) behaviors in Evo since the
> 5.2 upgrade:
>
> - failure to autocomplete email addresses for known contacts

I found something awry here, and I'm not sure if it's Evo, Gnome or
CentOS (not a clue!):

I noticed this problem originally at home, but I rarely send emails
out directly from Evo there, but then I noticed it here at work, too.
So I opened the Contacts window. Okay, I tried to. I got an
immediate error that Evo could not access my addressbook and to check
and see if the path existed.

Here's the path: /home/mrichter/.evolution/addressbook/local/system

Here's what I found:

[mrichter@sushi ~]$ ll -d .evolution/
drwxr-xr-x 9 mrichter RnD 4096 Jul 9 16:05 .evolution//

[mrichter@sushi ~]$ ll .evolution/
total 168
drwxr-xr-x 4 mrichter RnD 4096 Jul 9 16:05 addressbook/
drwx------ 4 mrichter RnD 4096 Jun 3 13:32 cache/
drwxrwxr-x 5 mrichter RnD 4096 Jul 3 14:11 calendar/
-rw------- 1 mrichter RnD 3 Jul 9 16:05 camel-cert.db
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mrichter RnD 3152 Apr 29 12:25 categories.xml
-rw------- 1 mrichter RnD 65536 Jul 9 16:05 cert8.db
-rw------- 1 mrichter RnD 32768 Jul 9 16:05 key3.db
drwxrwxr-x 8 mrichter RnD 4096 Jul 9 16:05 mail/
drwxrwxr-x 4 mrichter RnD 4096 Apr 29 12:25 memos/
-rw------- 1 mrichter RnD 32768 Apr 29 12:25 secmod.db
drwx------ 2 mrichter RnD 4096 May 14 15:00 signatures/
drwxrwxr-x 4 mrichter RnD 4096 Apr 29 12:25 tasks/

[mrichter@sushi ~]$ ll .evolution/addressbook/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 mrichter RnD 4096 Apr 21 11:19 local/
-rw------- 1 mrichter RnD 68 Jul 9 16:05 searches.xml
drwxr-xr-x 2 mrichter RnD 4096 May 16 10:13 views/

[mrichter@sushi ~]$ ll .evolution/addressbook/local/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 mrichter RnD 4096 Jun 20 19:48 system/

[mrichter@sushi ~]$ ll .evolution/addressbook/local/system/
total 32
-rw-r--r-- 1 mrichter RnD 24576 Jun 19 16:24 addressbook.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 mrichter RnD 4833 Jun 19 16:24 addressbook.db.summary

So I'm stumped - I own every single directory down the path to the
addressbook, and the addressbook itself, and I have write rights to
all of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
"nate"

MHR wrote:

> So I'm stumped - I own every single directory down the path to the
> addressbook, and the addressbook itself, and I have write rights to
> all of them.

Maybe it's not looking where you think it is looking..

I'd run the app with strace to find out what files it is attempting
to open.

What I do is: strace -fF <command> 1>/tmp/strace.log 2>&1

nate

Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 AM
MHR

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Maybe it's not looking where you think it is looking..
>
> I'd run the app with strace to find out what files it is attempting
> to open.
>
> What I do is: strace -fF <command> 1>/tmp/strace.log 2>&1

I got a ton of output, but there is no addressbook at all in the trace.

Also:

1) /home is an NFS mount (with exact matches on userids), so the
.evolution/ tree is also on the reomte system.

2) When I copied the old addressbook back in, Evo ignores it.

3) When I added a new contact, the file remains unchanged, but the
contacts are visible in Evo.

4) I'm waiting for the nfs writeback to see what happens if I try this
another way.

mhr

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
"nate"

MHR wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it's not looking where you think it is looking..
>>
>> I'd run the app with strace to find out what files it is attempting
>> to open.
>>
>> What I do is: strace -fF <command> 1>/tmp/strace.log 2>&1
>>

> I got a ton of output, but there is no addressbook at all in the trace.

I noticed that too, I'm not too familiar with evolution, but it seems
to spawn another process that handles the address book which for
some reason strace doesn't pick up, it must use another method other
than fork to cause that process to spawn up.

Even after I exit evolution that process is running and has the
addressbook file open.

from my debian desktop -

(starting with 0 evolution processes in the process list)
aphro@vmware2:/tmp$ strace -fF evolution 1>/tmp/strace.log 2>&1
aphro@vmware2:/tmp$ lsof | grep address
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() ext3 file system /dev/.static/dev
Output information may be incomplete.
evolution 4456 aphro 40u REG 8,1 12288 19447939
/home/aphro/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
evolution 4456 aphro 41r REG 8,1 87 19447942
/home/aphro/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db.summary
(deleted)
aphro@vmware2:/tmp$ grep 4456 strace.log
(which means evolution never spawned that process via normal forking,
which I don't recall ever encountering before, must be one of those
new desktop app protocols that seem to be increasingly used)

aphro@vmware2:/tmp$ ps auxw | grep 4456
aphro 4456 0.6 0.2 67192 6692 ? Sl 17:38 0:00
/usr/lib/evolution/evolution-data-server-1.6
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataServer_InterfaceChe ck
--oaf-ior-fd=54
aphro 4512 0.0 0.0 2848 712 pts/5 S+ 17:39 0:00 grep 4456
aphro@vmware2:/tmp$ grep addressbook.db strace.log

The next thing I suggest is stopping evolution, and killing all
evolution processes on the system and starting evolution again and
see if that fixes it.

nate

Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM
MHR

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> The next thing I suggest is stopping evolution, and killing all
> evolution processes on the system and starting evolution again and
> see if that fixes it.

Well, it didn't /fix/ the problem, but it did restore the original
behavior (error opening the contacts address book).

I did notice that the addressbook.db file remained unchanged
throughout all of this, but the addressbook.db.summary was different.
I'm thinking maybe it somehow got corrupted by whatever changes went
in between 5.1 and 5.2?

I've filed a bugzilla report against this with gnome, and, btw, also
one for bug-buddy's refusal to submit bugzilla reports on gnome 2.16
because it's "too old."

Hopefully they will go somewhere....

Meanwhile, still open to suggestions.... Thanks!

mhr

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/9/08, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>>
>> The next thing I suggest is stopping evolution, and killing all
>> evolution processes on the system and starting evolution again and
>> see if that fixes it.

I have killed Evolution and restarted it, many times, in the past few
weeks. The restarts don't do any good. There are intermittent problems
with Evolution on GNOME.

> Well, it didn't /fix/ the problem, but it did restore the original
> behavior (error opening the contacts address book).

I've tried to add several contacts to the address book and they do not
get added, unless I go into Contacts and add them as "new" contacts.
I do not remember this happening, before updating to CentOS 5.2.

<snip>
> I've filed a bugzilla report against this with gnome, and, btw, also
> one for bug-buddy's refusal to submit bugzilla reports on gnome 2.16
> because it's "too old."

Great. I have encountered the same problems. I was getting the error
message that Evolution Calendar (which I never use) had crashed and
then when I said OK, Bug Buddy can submit the error, I too got the
message that Gnome is too old.

I am also getting delays, when I try to view an email in my Inbox,
where it says that it is "formatting" the mail. Long time before I can
view emails, at times.