Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Chris Miller

Default Bind update overwrites named.conf

I just had a customer's bind server lose all of it's local DNS
records. Yum updated the bind packages this morning at ~6am, and
replaced the original /etc/named.conf file, saving the old as
named.conf.rpmsave. This seems like the opposite of what it should
have done (i.e. save the new file as named.conf.rpmnew). There does
not appear to be any difference between the originally shipped conf
file and the new one, suggesting that the file should not have been
replaced at all. Just wanted to through this out there in hopes it
helps someone else before the phone starts ringing...

CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
Jul 09 05:59:25 Updated: bind-devel.i386 20:9.2.4-28.0.1.el4
Jul 09 05:59:29 Updated: bind-chroot.i386 20:9.2.4-28.0.1.el4

Chris

Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Tru Huynh

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 08:42:12AM -0700, Chris Miller wrote:

> I just had a customer's bind server lose all of it's local DNS records.
> Yum updated the bind packages this morning at ~6am, and replaced the
> original /etc/named.conf file, saving the old as named.conf.rpmsave. This
> seems like the opposite of what it should have done (i.e. save the new
> file as named.conf.rpmnew).
If you have the caching-nameserver package, it's the expected behaviour:

/etc/named.conf is "owned" and labelled as "config file" for caching-nameserver.

The regular bind/bind-chroot don't provide named.conf.
You should not install the caching-nameserver package if you are
indeed providing DNS services with bind...

Tru

Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Chris Miller

Tru Huynh wrote:

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 08:42:12AM -0700, Chris Miller wrote:
I just had a customer's bind server lose all of it's local DNS records.
Yum updated the bind packages this morning at ~6am, and replaced the
original /etc/named.conf file, saving the old as named.conf.rpmsave. This
seems like the opposite of what it should have done (i.e. save the new
file as named.conf.rpmnew).

If you have the caching-nameserver package, it's the expected behaviour:

/etc/named.conf is "owned" and labelled as "config file" for caching-nameserver.

The regular bind/bind-chroot don't provide named.conf.
You should not install the caching-nameserver package if you are
indeed providing DNS services with bind...

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this package, and it was indeed at fault.
Seems like the package should be named bind-caching-nameserver...

Chris