Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Ted Miller

Default pnm2ppa gone, in any repo?

I can't get my HP DeskJet 712C to print via cups. I believe the reason is
that according to
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-May/msg00002.html the
pnm2ppa filter got dropped between RHEL 4 and RHEL 5, or between Fedora 6
and RHEL 5, depending on how you look at it.

Foomatic still generates the pnm2ppa.xml file, but there is no pnm2ppa
binary filter installed, so any print attempt ends with an error message.

I don't find that any repo I have installed has picked this up for x86_64
architecture. Do I need to add a repo? Has this not been an issue for
enough people that someone has made it available from a repo?

Right now this has been a show-stopper on upgrading from Centos 4 to 5, as
it is hard to use the workstation without a printer. Any help appreciated.

Ted Miller
Indiana, USA

Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Ted Miller

Ted Miller wrote:
I can't get my HP DeskJet 712C to print via cups. I believe the reason
is that according to
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-May/msg00002.html
the pnm2ppa filter got dropped between RHEL 4 and RHEL 5, or between
Fedora 6 and RHEL 5, depending on how you look at it.

Foomatic still generates the pnm2ppa.xml file, but there is no pnm2ppa
binary filter installed, so any print attempt ends with an error message.

I don't find that any repo I have installed has picked this up for
x86_64 architecture. Do I need to add a repo? Has this not been an
issue for enough people that someone has made it available from a repo?

Right now this has been a show-stopper on upgrading from Centos 4 to 5,
as it is hard to use the workstation without a printer. Any help
appreciated.

Since no repo seems to be interested in adding this printer driver, I
installed the one included with Fedora 6 (rpm doesn't care what repo it
came from, if you can get the URL right), and so far it is working. At
least I can start using my Centos 5 workstation.

It would be nice if someone would add this to some repo somewhere, so it
could be installed by yum. Unfortunately, it only supports a half dozen
printers, so I guess it is hard to get anyone motivated.

Ted Miller

Old 07-12-2008, 07:45 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Ted Miller <tedjeanmiller@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Ted Miller wrote:
>>
>> I can't get my HP DeskJet 712C to print via cups. I believe the reason is
>> that according to
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-May/msg00002.html the
>> pnm2ppa filter got dropped between RHEL 4 and RHEL 5, or between Fedora 6
>> and RHEL 5, depending on how you look at it.
>>
>> Foomatic still generates the pnm2ppa.xml file, but there is no pnm2ppa
>> binary filter installed, so any print attempt ends with an error message.
>>
>> I don't find that any repo I have installed has picked this up for x86_64
>> architecture. Do I need to add a repo? Has this not been an issue for
>> enough people that someone has made it available from a repo?
>>
>> Right now this has been a show-stopper on upgrading from Centos 4 to 5, as
>> it is hard to use the workstation without a printer. Any help appreciated.
>
> Since no repo seems to be interested in adding this printer driver, I
> installed the one included with Fedora 6 (rpm doesn't care what repo it came
> from, if you can get the URL right), and so far it is working. At least I
> can start using my Centos 5 workstation.

Well I wouldn't say that 'no repo' is interested... its more that the
repos look for suggestions on their lists. Asking on this list can
sometimes do it, but most likely it will get missed.

> It would be nice if someone would add this to some repo somewhere, so it
> could be installed by yum. Unfortunately, it only supports a half dozen
> printers, so I guess it is hard to get anyone motivated.

The first person to get motivated is yourself. Dag, atrpms, rpmrepo,
epel etc all look for people to do this... because well Dag, Axel, and
most of the EPEL people have other jobs and need more sleep than they
get. If it fits your need 'get-er-done and help others'.

> Ted Miller

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux