Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default NOW: Firefox 3.0 and GNOME crash when trying to view SME Server documentation WAS: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

On 7/8/08, Marko A. Jennings <markobiz@bluegargoyle.com> wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
>>> something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE
>>> and Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link
>>> for, without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing.
>>> I haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one
>>> page yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and
>>> GNOME crash, while trying to view the document.
>>
>> I can't replicate a crash. EG the infamous, it works for me. I think
>> there is something up with your system/network.
>
> I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
> works fine with Konqueror. An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't
> have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.

Below is from my /var/log/messages from the time the system was stable
to the time I logged back in, after the crash

Jul 8 21:16:07 dell2400 dhclient: bound to 192.168.10.54 -- renewal
in 1793 seconds.
Jul 8 21:17:05 dell2400 restorecond: Will not restore a file with
more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) No such file or directory
Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Received signal 15,
shutting down cleanly
Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Exiting
Jul 8 21:17:24 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): starting (version
2.14.0), pid 4631 user 'lanny'

Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/8/08, Marko A. Jennings <markobiz@bluegargoyle.com> wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
>>> something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE
>>> and Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link
>>> for, without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing.
>>> I haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one
>>> page yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and
>>> GNOME crash, while trying to view the document.
>>
>> I can't replicate a crash. EG the infamous, it works for me. I think
>> there is something up with your system/network.
>
> I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
> works fine with Konqueror. An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't
> have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.

This is from /var/log/messages

Jul 8 21:16:07 dell2400 dhclient: bound to 192.168.10.54 -- renewal
in 1793 seconds.
Jul 8 21:17:05 dell2400 restorecond: Will not restore a file with
more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) No such file or directory
Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Received signal 15,
shutting down cleanly
Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Exiting
Jul 8 21:17:24 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): starting (version
2.14.0), pid 4631 user 'lanny'
Jul 8 21:17:24 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
configuration source at position 0
Jul 8 21:17:24 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Resolved address
"xml:readwrite:/home/lanny/.gconf" to a writable configuration source
at position 1
Jul 8 21:17:24 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only
configuration source at position 2
Jul 8 21:17:28 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Resolved address
"xml:readwrite:/home/lanny/.gconf" to a writable configuration source
at position 0
Jul 8 21:23:21 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Received signal 15,
shutting down cleanly
Jul 8 21:23:21 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-4631): Exiting
Jul 8 21:23:21 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-5055): starting (version
2.14.0), pid 5055 user 'lanny'

Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 AM
jarmo

Lanny Marcus kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 9. heinäkuuta
2008):

> > I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
> > works fine with Konqueror. An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't
> > have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.

I tested that site with Firefox, I got crash also, and I use KDE.
And in /var/log/messages found exactly same gconfd messakes.

Jarmo

Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Johnny Hughes <jhughes@hughesjr.com> wrote:

<snip>

OK, I can verify that for me (CentOS-5.2 updated, Firefox-3.0-2.el5.centos) this link:

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet

Causes X to crash.

I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it

works fine with Konqueror. *An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't

have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.

<snip>

These are the relevant log entries (I think)

Jul *8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Received signal 15,

shutting down cleanly

Jul *8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Exiting

Can some on with RHEL-5.2 try that link and see if it causes a similar issue in RHEL-5?

Johnny: Thank you for duplicating this issue! After you determine whether or not it is also an Upstream issue, you will be able to describe it, better than I can, in Bugzilla. Lanny

Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Benjamin Smith

This issue also exists on my Fedora Core 8 laptop running the .tgz binaries
from mozilla.

-Ben

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Johnny Hughes <jhughes@hughesjr.com> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > OK, I can verify that for me (CentOS-5.2 updated,
Firefox-3.0-2.el5.centos)
> > this link:

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet

> > Causes X to crash.
> >
> > I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
> >>>

> > <snip>
> >
> > These are the relevant log entries (I think)
> >
> > Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Received signal 15,
> >> shutting down cleanly
> >> Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Exiting
> >>

> > Can some on with RHEL-5.2 try that link and see if it causes a similar
> > issue in RHEL-5?
> >

> Johnny: Thank you for duplicating this issue! After you determine whether or
> not it is also an Upstream issue, you will be able to describe it, better
> than I can, in Bugzilla. Lanny

> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Only those who reach toward a goal are likely to achieve it.

believed to be clean.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Johnny Hughes <jhughes@hughesjr.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> OK, I can verify that for me (CentOS-5.2 updated, Firefox-3.0-2.el5.centos)
> this link:
>
> http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet
>
> Causes X to crash.
>
>>> I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
>>> works fine with Konqueror. An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't
>>> have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.
>
> <snip>
>
> These are the relevant log entries (I think)
>
>> Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Received signal 15,
>> shutting down cleanly
>> Jul 8 21:17:06 dell2400 gconfd (lanny-3906): Exiting
>
> Can some on with RHEL-5.2 try that link and see if it causes a similar issue
> in RHEL-5?

Johnny: Is that also a problem in RHEL 5.2? If so, did you add it to
their Bugzilla? Lanny