Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
"Marko A. Jennings"

Default OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

>>> http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manu
>>> al:Booklet
>>>
>>> Then, you can print it to PDF if you want.
>>

>> Ross: I tried that, once before and it didn't work. I just tried it,
>> again, after reading your post. Not only did Firefox 3.0 (which I got
>> in an update today) crash, but I crashed out of GNOME, back to the
>> login screen where you select which Desktop to use. I will send this
>> reply and try it again. If I can get the SME Server documentation in
>> one .pdf document on my hard drive, I'm quite interested in SME Server.
>> Thanks. Lanny
>
> This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
> something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE and
> Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link for,
> without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing. I
> haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one page
> yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and GNOME
> crash, while trying to view the document.

The same happens on my machine with Firefox under KDE. After the crash,
in /var/log/messages I see the following:

Jul 8 21:45:50 xxxx gconfd (root-12641): Received signal 15, shutting
down cleanly
Jul 8 21:45:50 xxxx gconfd (root-12641): Exiting

I have experienced this several months ago on a different CentOS 5
machine, but only when I tried to access documentation on the SME Server
web site (contribs.org).

Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Tue, July 8, 2008 10:03 pm, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Ross Cavanagh
>>> <ross-cavanagh@bm-sms.co.jp> wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Ross: I tried that, once before and it didn't work. I just tried it,
>>> again, after reading your post. Not only did Firefox 3.0 (which I got
>>> in an update today) crash, but I crashed out of GNOME, back to the
>>> login screen where you select which Desktop to use. I will send this
>>> reply and try it again. If I can get the SME Server documentation in
>>> one .pdf document on my hard drive, I'm quite interested in SME
>>> Server. Thanks. Lanny
>>
>> This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
>> something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE
>> and Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link
>> for, without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing.
>> I haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one
>> page yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and
>> GNOME crash, while trying to view the document.
>
> I can't replicate a crash. EG the infamous, it works for me. I think
> there is something up with your system/network.

I can replicate it every time I try with Firefox under CentOS 5, but it
works fine with Konqueror. An EeePC and a laptop running Ubuntu don't
have any problems accessing this page with Firefox.