Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross-cavanagh@bm-sms.co.jp> wrote:

Lanny Marcus wrote:

Interesting idea! I will read the IPCop documentation, to see if I can do that on my IPCop box.

If not, I'm interested in SME Server, if that will do the job. What I don't like about SME Server is that their documentation isn't available for download. I like to have local documentation on my hard drive. My strong belief is that this is coming from my ISP,
<snip>

As for the SME documentation, you can select to view as one page [the option is at the bottom of the page when you are browse to the specific documentattion].

eg. http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet

Then, you can print it to PDF if you want.*Ross: I tried that, once before and it didn't work. I just tried it, again, after reading your post. Not only did Firefox 3.0 (which I got in an update today) crash, but I crashed out of GNOME, back to the login screen where you select which Desktop to use. I will send this reply* and try it again. If I can get the SME Server documentation in one .pdf document on my hard drive, I'm quite interested in SME Server. Thanks. Lanny

Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross-cavanagh@bm-sms.co.jp>
> wrote:
<snip>

>> As for the SME documentation, you can select to view as one page [the
>> option is at the bottom of the page when you are browse to the specific
>> documentattion].
>>
>> eg.
>> http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet
>>
>> Then, you can print it to PDF if you want.
>

> Ross: I tried that, once before and it didn't work. I just tried it, again,
> after reading your post. Not only did Firefox 3.0 (which I got in an update
> today) crash, but I crashed out of GNOME, back to the login screen where you
> select which Desktop to use. I will send this reply and try it again. If I
> can get the SME Server documentation in one .pdf document on my hard drive,
> I'm quite interested in SME Server. Thanks. Lanny

This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE
and Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link
for, without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing.
I haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one
page yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and
GNOME crash, while trying to view the document.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross-cavanagh@bm-sms.co.jp>
>> wrote:
> <snip>
>>>>
>>> As for the SME documentation, you can select to view as one page [the
>>> option is at the bottom of the page when you are browse to the specific
>>> documentattion].
>>>
>>> eg.
>>> http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet
>>>
>>> Then, you can print it to PDF if you want.
>>

>> Ross: I tried that, once before and it didn't work. I just tried it, again,
>> after reading your post. Not only did Firefox 3.0 (which I got in an update
>> today) crash, but I crashed out of GNOME, back to the login screen where you
>> select which Desktop to use. I will send this reply and try it again. If I
>> can get the SME Server documentation in one .pdf document on my hard drive,
>> I'm quite interested in SME Server. Thanks. Lanny
>
> This is unrelated to the opendns.com thread that I began. There is
> something wrong with GNOME and Firefox. At this time, I am using KDE
> and Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link
> for, without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing.
> I haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one
> page yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and
> GNOME crash, while trying to view the document.

I can't replicate a crash. EG the infamous, it works for me. I think
there is something up with your system/network.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/8/08, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Ross Cavanagh
>>> <ross-cavanagh@bm-sms.co.jp>
>>> wrote:
>> <snip>

Cool. Thanks! I got it OK, using Konqueror on KDE. The .pdf file is on
my hard drive.
<snip>

> I can't replicate a crash. EG the infamous, it works for me. I think
> there is something up with your system/network.

Stephen: I will go back to GNOME and FIrefox now and try it again. It
was pretty ugly and I tried it twice. There were no error messages,
like I sometimes get in GNOME, when closing Firefox and Evolution and
I get an error message that Evolution Calendar (which I do not use)
has crashed and then Bug Buddy cannot report, because it needs a newer
version of GNOME. Lanny

Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/8/08, Marko A. Jennings <markobiz@bluegargoyle.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Konqueror. I can view the SME Server document Ross has the link for,
>> without any problem, and without my browser and desktop crashing. I
>> haven't found the place where you view the entire document as one page
>> yet, but this is huge improvement, after having Firefox 3.0 and GNOME
>> crash, while trying to view the document.
>
> The same happens on my machine with Firefox under KDE. After the crash,
> in /var/log/messages I see the following:
>
> Jul 8 21:45:50 xxxx gconfd (root-12641): Received signal 15, shutting
> down cleanly
> Jul 8 21:45:50 xxxx gconfd (root-12641): Exiting
>
> I have experienced this several months ago on a different CentOS 5
> machine, but only when I tried to access documentation on the SME Server
> web site (contribs.org).

Marko: Thank you. I am now going to log out of KDE and go back to
GNOME (which I use about 99% of the time) and try it again, with
Firefox 3.0. If it crashes again, I will check /var/log/messages
Lanny

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
"Amos Shapira"

> I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a fully
> up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with Firefox
> (and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when DNS
> is slow, I am seeing references to opendns.com At times, I end up on
> opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to. My
> ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that
> they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS servers. I
> haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box and my belief is
> that this is coming from my ISP or upstream from there. . If using
> opendns.com is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.

Could it be that some server you connect to uses opendns' servers for
their own DNS service?
Which web sites are you trying to surf to when you reach OpenDNS?

--Amos

Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a fully

> up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with Firefox

> (and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when DNS

> is slow, *I am seeing references to opendns.com *At times, I end up on

> opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to. *My

> ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that

> they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS servers. I

> haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box and my belief is

> that this is coming from my ISP or upstream from there. . If using

> opendns.com *is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.

Could it be that some server you connect to uses opendns' servers for

their own DNS service?

Which web sites are you trying to surf to when you reach OpenDNS?
Amos: This is an intermittent problem and I believe it began one week ago. The first time it happened, I was trying to connect to a Secure (https) web site at irs.gov and I got a* warning message from Firefox that the SSL certificate belonged to opendns.com which was very troubling....* That is the first time I called my ISP about opendns.com** I have also seen references to opendns.com while trying to connect to other web sites. I suspect that my ISP (the phone company) is using opendns.com but the Supervisor in support that I spoke with does not think that is true. Of course, she is not the Network person in charge of their 2 DNS servers, so she may be unaware of what happens upstream.

Since then, when the DNS is slow, I have seen references to opendns.com at the lower left hand corner of Firefox, where it shows what sites it is trying to connect to, transferring from, etc.* For example, yesterday, in that area, I saw* "guide.opendns.com Waiting for reply"

I am beginning to look into the idea of having my own Caching DNS Server, as was suggested in this thread last night. I took a *very* quick look at IPCop (which is my current Firewall/Router box) and I think it has provisions for Dynamic DNS built in, but not Caching DNS. I also took a very quick look at the SME Server documentation, which I was able to get last night after I switched to KDE and I think it also has provisions for Dynamic DNS but not DNS Caching. When I have more time available, I will read more about dnscache part of djbdns, which was suggested earlier in this thread, as an option to BIND. Lanny

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
"Victor Padro"

Pfsense could do the job also, if you install tinyDNS and increase the cache limit which is 1Mb by default to perhaps 100mb. I'm giving a try right now because my ISP here in mexico city is so damn slow to resolve domains outside the america continent.

cheers.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/9/08, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pfsense could do the job also, if you install tinyDNS and increase the cache
> limit which is 1Mb by default to perhaps 100mb. I'm giving a try right now
> because my ISP here in mexico city is so damn slow to resolve domains
> outside the america continent.

Hola Victor: Gracias. I will add Pfsense and tinyDNS to the list of
things I need to read up on. Having my own Caching DNS Server, in my
Firewall/Router box, is probably the best way to eliminate these
problems. If I can do that on CentOS that would be great, and I'm sure
that just about anything can be done on CentOS, but I am going to look
into doing it with my IPCop box or on SME Server, first, which would
probably be much easier for me to get up and running properly. I have
a backup IPCop box, that I probably can do this on. It has a P3 500MHz
CPU and 384 MB of RAM. I don't think CentOS 5.2 will run on that, but
maybe CentOS 4.6 will run OK on it. Until WiMax or TelMex become
available in our rural subdivision (in Colombia) at this time, ADSL is
our best option for connectivity, but probably it would be nice, only
to use them for connectivity and not for DNS. Lanny

Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 AM
"Victor Padro"

Hi there again...
I just found this on my quest of DNS caching...http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4687

Lanny: I think you can install CentOS 3.x, 4.x, and remotely perhaps CentOS 5.0 on a P3 like yours, I have a couple of Dells P3 running CentOS 3.9 server edition and CentOS 5.0 (not connected to the outside world thought) which serves web sites locally and its been working without a hassle.

Telmex here is not very bad service...it's awful.
But Internet via cablemodem it's worse...

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"