Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a fully up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with Firefox (and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when DNS is slow, *I am seeing references to opendns.com* At times, I end up on opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to. *My ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS servers. I haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box*and my belief is that this is coming from*my ISP or upstream from there. . If*using opendns.com *is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Bill Campbell

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a fully
>up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with Firefox
>(and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when DNS
>is slow, I am seeing references to opendns.com At times, I end up on
>opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to. My
>ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that
>they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS servers. I
>haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box and my belief is
>that this is coming from my ISP or upstream from there. . If using
>opendns.com is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.

I would suggest that you set up your own caching dns server, and don't
depend on your ISP's.

We use dnscache from djbdns, avoiding BIND (Buggy Internet Name Daemon).

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
-- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do Until The Revolution"

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 7/8/08, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 08, 2008, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a fully

>up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with Firefox
>(and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when DNS
>is slow,**I am seeing references to opendns.com**At times, I end up on

>opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to.**My
>ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that
>they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS servers. I

>haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box and my belief is
>that this is coming from my ISP or upstream from there. . If using
>opendns.com**is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.

I would suggest that you set up your own caching dns server, and don't
depend on your ISP's.

We use dnscache from djbdns, avoiding BIND (Buggy Internet Name Daemon).
*
Interesting idea! I will read the IPCop documentation, to see if I can do that on my IPCop box.
If not, I'm interested in SME Server, if that will do the job. What I don't like about SME Server is that their documentation isn't available for download. I like to have local documentation on my hard drive. My strong belief is that this is coming from my ISP, but they claim I'm the only one with this problem. I can't imagine that it would be coming from the OS and nothing has changed in my IPCop box. ISP's like to claim that* problems are*on the users end, rather than on their end. Once or twice, I've pointed out a problem to a previous ISP, been told there was no problem, and then later, they tell me that yes, they had a problem.... The phone company is the best ISP I have had, so far, and they seem to be "pro active" and usually they*fix problems, without me calling them, which I truly appreciate and respect.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Ross Cavanagh

Lanny Marcus wrote:
[...]

As for the SME documentation, you can select to view as one page [the
option is at the bottom of the page when you are browse to the specific
documentattion].

eg.
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Serverocumentation:Administration_Manual:Boo klet

Then, you can print it to PDF if you want.

-Ross-