Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
"B.J. McClure"

Default CENTOS irst tim root "mmory or rsh krnl..."

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 05:28 +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> I installed Centos 5.2 on DELL 2650 server (fresh install). After
> installed finish, I reboot server and get following messages and
> server hang:
>

> Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
>
> Redhat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting
>

> Anyone know why?
>

> Thanks.

The Release Notes for CentOS 5 indicate this is "normal".

B.J.
CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 x86_64 16:36:12 up 1 day, 2:27, 1
user, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.01

Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Greg Bailey

mcclnx mcc wrote:

I installed Centos 5.2 on DELL 2650 server (fresh install). After
installed finish, I reboot server and get following messages and
server hang:

/Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range/

/Redhat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting/

Anyone know why?

Thanks.

From the 5.1 release notes at:

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1

"During the boot process you may see the message "Memory for crash
kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range" appear. This message
comes from the new kdump infrastructure. It is a harmless message and
can be safely ignored."

I wonder if this should also be included in the 5.2 release notes as a
known issue since it still occurs...

Greg

Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM, B.J. McClure <keepertoad@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 05:28 +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
>> I installed Centos 5.2 on DELL 2650 server (fresh install). After
>> installed finish, I reboot server and get following messages and
>> server hang:
>>
>> Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
>>
>> Redhat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting
>>

>> Anyone know why?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> The Release Notes for CentOS 5 indicate this is "normal".

While the memory message is normal, I'm pretty sure that the "hang"
part wasn't normal.

However, there isn't any information of use here - what is the
hardware configuration of your Dell? In detail, please. The more
information you supply, the easier it is to fish for an answer.

mhr