Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Jerry Geis

Default install from USB thumdrive

Hi all

Is there a procedure to use an 8GIG thumbdrive to copy the centos 5.2
dvd contents
to the thumbdrive then run isolinux (or something like it) and be able
to use the thumbdrive as the install media?

Seems like it should work, however my machine only has syslinux not
isolinux.

yum provides isolinux does not return anything.

Anyway I was trying to get to a point where I can just stick a USB fab
in a machine,
have the fab setup with the correct kickstart and everything so it just
installs.
I cant modify a DVD but a fab I could put the kickstart files on and
nothing to type.

jerry

Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> Is there a procedure to use an 8GIG thumbdrive to copy the centos 5.2 dvd
> contents to the thumbdrive then run isolinux (or something like it) and be able to
> use the thumbdrive as the install media?

Look for a file named usbkey.txt on your syslinux RPM. It has
instructions on how to make a bootable USB key.

Basically you have to use "mkdiskimage" to format the USB with a
special geometry, you have to use partition number 4, copy your
contents there, and then run "syslinux" to create the boot sector.

HTH,
Filipe