Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how do I find out which nameserver returns a DNS query? {SOLVED}

Jonathan Wright wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

If I do a "dig mydomain.co.za" from a Linux server, how do I know
which DNS nameserver returns the queries?

I seem to have a faulty DNS server, but can't see which one, so I
want to find out which nameserver (if there's 4 - ns1.myserver,
ns2.myserver, ns3.myserver & ns4.myserver) returns the queries?

Try the +trace option - it will get dig to output the details of each
request on a full resolution (bypassing any local name-server and
performing it's own lookup from the root servers onwards).

e.g. dig +trace mydomain.co.za

It doesn't lik me

dig +trace cp.hostfactor.co.za

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> +trace cp.hostfactor.co.za
;; global options: printcmd
. 36416 IN NS E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 36416 IN NS C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
;; Received 228 bytes from 4.2.2.1#53(4.2.2.1) in 49 ms

Segmentation fault

hehe. That's a nice trick though, I noticed after the 3rd attempt that
it goes to our domain registrars nameservers, then segment faults again.
But I'm sure this will do the trick

On another server it worked as expected, and I could see which
nameserver returned the query. My reason for looking for this is that we
run 2 nameservers, one on Linux & 1 on Windows - serving the same
domain, but it's not synced, so I wanted to see what happens if records
change on one server and not the other.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers