-   -   how do I find out which nameserver returns a DNS query? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/120451-how-do-i-find-out-nameserver-returns-dns-query.html)

Rudi Ahlers 07-07-2008 03:25 PM

how do I find out which nameserver returns a DNS query?

Hi all

If I do a "dig mydomain.co.za" from a Linux server, how do I know which
DNS nameserver returns the queries?

I seem to have a faulty DNS server, but can't see which one, so I want
to find out which nameserver (if there's 4 - ns1.myserver, ns2.myserver,
ns3.myserver & ns4.myserver) returns the queries?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Ray Van Dolson 07-07-2008 03:28 PM

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 05:25:58PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all
>
> If I do a "dig mydomain.co.za" from a Linux server, how do I know which DNS
> nameserver returns the queries?
>
> I seem to have a faulty DNS server, but can't see which one, so I want to
> find out which nameserver (if there's 4 - ns1.myserver, ns2.myserver,
> ns3.myserver & ns4.myserver) returns the queries?

Towards the end of the output there should be a ;; SERVER: line that
will tell you.

But you should probably just force the query to go to each of your
listed servers and figure out which one is bad that way:

dig @ns1.myserver query
dig @ns2.myserver query
etc

Ray