Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default yum-updatesd not working on CentOS 5.2

Santi Saez wrote:

Dear Srs,

yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5 appears that it's not working on freshly
installed CentOS 5.2, using:

# rpm -qa "yum*"
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-2.el5
yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5
yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1
yum-fastestmirror-1.1.10-9.el5.centos

I see some bugs ([1], [2] and [3]) in the bug tracker, and more info
related to other distros like Fedora, etc.. with the same problem.

yum-updatesd does not automatically update in CentOS 5.2, is there any
patch for this? anyone using this daemon for Yum?

This is the configuration file:

# grep -v "#" /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
run_interval = 60
updaterefresh = 60
emit_via = email
email_to = santi@example.com
email_from = centos@example.com
do_update = yes
do_download = yes
do_download_deps = yes

Regards,

[1] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2039
[2] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2592
[3] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2560

yum-updatesd does not install updates, it tells you they are available.

yum-cron (or a batch file you create with a 'yum -y upgrade' ) would be
needed to actually upgrade the system.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 09:51 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Santi Saez wrote:
> >
> > Dear Srs,
> >
> > yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5 appears that it's not working on freshly
> > installed CentOS 5.2, using:
> >
> > # rpm -qa "yum*"
> > yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-2.el5
> > yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5
> > yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1
> > yum-fastestmirror-1.1.10-9.el5.centos
> >
> > I see some bugs ([1], [2] and [3]) in the bug tracker, and more info
> > related to other distros like Fedora, etc.. with the same problem.
> >
> > yum-updatesd does not automatically update in CentOS 5.2, is there any
> > patch for this? anyone using this daemon for Yum?
> >
> > This is the configuration file:
> >
> > # grep -v "#" /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
> > [main]
> > run_interval = 60
> > updaterefresh = 60
> > emit_via = email
> > email_to = santi@example.com
> > email_from = centos@example.com
> > do_update = yes
> > do_download = yes
> > do_download_deps = yes
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > [1] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2039
> > [2] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2592
> > [3] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2560
>
> yum-updatesd does not install updates, it tells you they are available.
>
> yum-cron (or a batch file you create with a 'yum -y upgrade' ) would be
> needed to actually upgrade the system.
----
FWIW Johnny...on Fedora yum-updatesd does indeed automatically install
updates if configured as above (not the default).

Craig

Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Johnny Hughes

Craig White wrote:

[...]

And it probably SHOULD work in CentOS too ... but it doesn't.

We will probably look at it at some point ... but yumcron was included
since it is currently broken.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 16:10 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> yum-updatesd does not install updates, it tells you they are available.
> >>
> >> yum-cron (or a batch file you create with a 'yum -y upgrade' ) would be
> >> needed to actually upgrade the system.
> > ----
> > FWIW Johnny...on Fedora yum-updatesd does indeed automatically install
> > updates if configured as above (not the default).
>
> And it probably SHOULD work in CentOS too ... but it doesn't.
>
> We will probably look at it at some point ... but yumcron was included
> since it is currently broken.
----
I should have noted that I never could get yum-updatesd to automatically
update a system until Fedora 8. It never worked in Fedora 7.

Craig

Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Santi Saez

[...]

Dear Johnny,

According to "man 5 yum-updatesd.conf":

(..)
do_update
Boolean option to decide whether or not updates should
be automatically applied. Defaults to False.

do_download
Boolean option to decide whether or not updates should
be automatically downloaded. Defaults to False.

(..)

So, appears that yum-updatesd can download, notify and install
updates.. but none of this works on a fresh CentOS 5.2 :-(

I will try yum-cron.. but I'm also interested in testing yum-
updatesd, none is using it? there's no patch to solve this? Thanks..

Santi Saez______________________________________________ _

Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Santi Saez <santi@hostalia.com> wrote:

> Dear Johnny,

Oh, no! A "Dear Johnny" letter! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

(SCNR :-)

mhr
<BFG>

Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
John Horne

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 12:12 +0200, Santi Saez wrote:

> So, appears that yum-updatesd can download, notify and install
> updates.. but none of this works on a fresh CentOS 5.2 :-(
>
> I will try yum-cron.. but I'm also interested in testing yum-
> updatesd, none is using it? there's no patch to solve this? Thanks..

Hi,

We use yum-updatesd on CentOS 5.1, 5.2 and Fedora systems. I have to
admit that I have a 5.1 server sitting here telling me that it has a
whole load of patches to install (the 5.2 updates), and I just didn't
associate it with yum-updatesd not installing them. Like you we have
configured yum-updatesd to do automatic installs, although we exclude
things like the kernel for manual updating.

Anyway. I've currently set yum-updatesd to do a check every 15mins (900
seconds) on one server. I'll look and see if there is anything obvious
as to why it doesn't do the updates.

I could see nothing about this on the RedHat bugzilla (no bugs reported
for yum-updatesd at all under Fedora 9). I may test that tonight at
home.

John.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
John Horne

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 17:42 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 12:12 +0200, Santi Saez wrote:
> >
> > So, appears that yum-updatesd can download, notify and install
> > updates.. but none of this works on a fresh CentOS 5.2 :-(

Well I tested this on Centos 5.1 and 5.2, as well as Fedora 9. It does
seem to work. For CentOS 5.2 I simply installed the scim-docs RPM, which
we do not usually have installed but it does have an update waiting.
Having configured yum-updatesd to do an automatic update in 15 mins, I
then just left it. After 15 mins it had applied the update. So it
worked.

In my case the problem is that I have configured yum-updatesd for
notifications by syslog. It seems that the syslog option only works when
updates are 'available'. If you ask for them to be automatically
updated, or if an error occurs, then nothing is logged. (If you use the
email option then you get the errors or update count as a mail message.)
On my 5.1 systems, we have modified yum.conf to exclude the kernel and
glibc packages from updating - we prefer to do those manually. However,
this then means that when yum-updatesd runs, to update the system to
centos 5.2, it gets a dependency error because of our excluded packages.
As mentioned above, using syslog this is not logged at all. (Taking out
the exclusions, and configuring yum-updatesd not to do updates, and I
then correctly get a syslog message that 239 updates are available.)

I have created a patch to the /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper file
which I will log in to the RedHat bugzilla tonight. (I want to check
things on my F9 PC at home before submitting the bugzilla log.) The
patch logs errors and the number of applied updates when using syslog.
Tested, and it works fine (it was how I found out about the missing
dependencies on our 5.1 server).

So, perhaps not much help to the OP I'm afraid, but it sorted out what I
think is a bug (with the syslog option).

John.