Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Dag Wieers

Default "installation method" (CentOS 5.2)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

I'm trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PE 1850 via the DRAC 4
card, with CentOS-5.2-i386-bin-1of6.iso mounted as virtual media. At
the boot prompt, I hit <Enter>, which should start the graphical
installation, but it starts off with a text installation. I am asked
- whether I want to test the media, which I skip
- what language I want to use - I select English
- what keyboard I have - I select us
- the installation method - "What type of media conatins the packages
to be installed?"
I have the choice between
- Local CDROM
- Hard drive
- NFS image
- FTP
- HTTP
but not virtual CDROM.

How can I get it to install from the virtual CDROM? (and no, choosing
Local CDROM doesn't work).

Because the operating system does not know this is a "virtual" CDROM. The
interface looks very real to it. It should work with Local CDROM though.

Why is the question there in the first place? It got that far using
the virtual media, so why not simply continue using it?

I think that fails because for some reason your (virtual) CDROM driver
failed to load. Therefor the "generic" boot installation does not detect
it is booting from the (virtual) CDROM and asks the question.

P.S. CentOS 5.1 doesn't have this issue, but I just erased the 5.1
isos, so I'm hoping that I won't need to reload them all.

It could help us to find out whether this issue exists with RHEL5.2 as
well and what the (virtual) CDROM interface is. Is it a USB cdrom device,
or some other device ?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/7/7 Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org>:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PE 1850 via the DRAC 4
>> card, with CentOS-5.2-i386-bin-1of6.iso mounted as virtual media. At
>> the boot prompt, I hit <Enter>, which should start the graphical
>> installation, but it starts off with a text installation. I am asked
>> - whether I want to test the media, which I skip
>> - what language I want to use - I select English
>> - what keyboard I have - I select us
>> - the installation method - "What type of media conatins the packages
>> to be installed?"
>> I have the choice between
>> - Local CDROM
>> - Hard drive
>> - NFS image
>> - FTP
>> - HTTP
>> but not virtual CDROM.
>>
>> How can I get it to install from the virtual CDROM? (and no, choosing
>> Local CDROM doesn't work).
>
> Because the operating system does not know this is a "virtual" CDROM. The
> interface looks very real to it. It should work with Local CDROM though.

Well, I tried several times. When I select "Local CDROM", I get a new
screen with header "CD Not Found" and text "The CentOS CD was not
found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the CentOS CD and
press OK to retry."

>> Why is the question there in the first place? It got that far using
>> the virtual media, so why not simply continue using it?
>
> I think that fails because for some reason your (virtual) CDROM driver
> failed to load. Therefor the "generic" boot installation does not detect it
> is booting from the (virtual) CDROM and asks the question.

Then how can it even start the installation?

>> P.S. CentOS 5.1 doesn't have this issue, but I just erased the 5.1
>> isos, so I'm hoping that I won't need to reload them all.
>
> It could help us to find out whether this issue exists with RHEL5.2 as well
> and what the (virtual) CDROM interface is. Is it a USB cdrom device, or some
> other device ?

Just downloaded Red Hat EL 5.2, and it has the same issue. I suppose
this means I have to take it up with Red Hat?

I don't understand how DRAC works. I download the iso image to the
harddrive of my PC, connect to the DRAC using a webbrowser (over
https), and select to serve that iso image as a virtual CD-ROM.
I once tried to serve an iso image to a system that was already
installed, hoping to be able to use it on the system, but I never
found out to what device file it got connected.

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Mogens Kjaer

Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

I don't understand how DRAC works. I download the iso image to the
harddrive of my PC, connect to the DRAC using a webbrowser (over
https), and select to serve that iso image as a virtual CD-ROM.
I once tried to serve an iso image to a system that was already
installed, hoping to be able to use it on the system, but I never
found out to what device file it got connected.

I don't know DRAC, but on other machines (HP's ILO and IBM's
RSA) your .iso image appears on the server as a USB CDROM
drive.

If you know that 5.1 used to work, I would go for that.

Or you could PXE boot the installation over the network.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
"nate"

Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
up with Red Hat?

> I don't understand how DRAC works. I download the iso image to the
> harddrive of my PC, connect to the DRAC using a webbrowser (over
> https), and select to serve that iso image as a virtual CD-ROM.
> I once tried to serve an iso image to a system that was already
> installed, hoping to be able to use it on the system, but I never
> found out to what device file it got connected.

At least in HP and Supermicro Virtual CDROMs the virtual CDROM is
presented as a USB device. I haven't tried installing CentOS or
RHEL using this method but have installed VMWare ESX just fine.

The system can boot off the virtual CDROM because the bios does
the right redirection stuff to help it boot. Once a 32 or 64-bit
system fires up there's no access to that low level stuff anymore
and you need a real driver. It sounds like the USB chipset in the
system is not supported by the kernel.

If you can, boot using a serial console so you can capture the
output of the bootup, and note what USB drivers are loaded, and
what additional drivers are loaded once anaconda(installer)
fires up.

But it sounds like your best off doing a network installation,
which is pretty easy to setup, there's tons of docs out there.

nate

Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
MHR

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Herta Van den Eynde
<herta.vandeneynde@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PE 1850 via the DRAC 4
> card, with CentOS-5.2-i386-bin-1of6.iso mounted as virtual media. At
> the boot prompt, I hit <Enter>, which should start the graphical
> installation, but it starts off with a text installation. I am asked

This is normal for the graphical installation.

> - whether I want to test the media, which I skip
> - what language I want to use - I select English
> - what keyboard I have - I select us
> - the installation method - "What type of media conatins the packages
> to be installed?"

This is NOT normal - that's from the network installation option....

Just FYI - I know this isn't the cause of your problem, but thought
you should know.

mhr

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/7/7 MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Herta Van den Eynde
> <herta.vandeneynde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PE 1850 via the DRAC 4
>> card, with CentOS-5.2-i386-bin-1of6.iso mounted as virtual media. At
>> the boot prompt, I hit <Enter>, which should start the graphical
>> installation, but it starts off with a text installation. I am asked
>
> This is normal for the graphical installation.

Is it? 5.1 starts up an X-server and asks these questions in a
graphical screen.

>> - whether I want to test the media, which I skip
>> - what language I want to use - I select English
>> - what keyboard I have - I select us
>> - the installation method - "What type of media conatins the packages
>> to be installed?"
>
> This is NOT normal - that's from the network installation option....
>
> Just FYI - I know this isn't the cause of your problem, but thought
> you should know.
>
> mhr

Thanks, it confirms what I suspected. Now if I only knew why.

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.
After installing 5.1, I mounted the 5.1 iso image through DRAC.
/var/log/messages reports "Jul 8 12:56:23 dsrv546 kernel: cdrom: This
disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!"
But if I connect the 5.2 iso image, nothing gets logged.

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Herta Van den Eynde
<herta.vandeneynde@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/7 MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com>:
>>
>> This is normal for the graphical installation.
>
> Is it? 5.1 starts up an X-server and asks these questions in a
> graphical screen.

You might want to check that. IIRC, every time I have actually
installed CentOS from the DVD/CD, it goes into the pseudo-graphical
text mode for disk test, language and keyboard, and /then/ it starts
up the X server to do the rest.

That's how I remember it worked when I installed 4.4 and then 5.0 on
my home desktop, 5.1 on my laptop (and once on my aux desktop at home)
and 5.2 here at work....

Cheers.

mhr

Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 AM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

2008/7/8 MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Herta Van den Eynde
> <herta.vandeneynde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/7/7 MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This is normal for the graphical installation.
>>
>> Is it? 5.1 starts up an X-server and asks these questions in a
>> graphical screen.
>>

> You might want to check that. IIRC, every time I have actually
> installed CentOS from the DVD/CD, it goes into the pseudo-graphical
> text mode for disk test, language and keyboard, and /then/ it starts
> up the X server to do the rest.
>
> That's how I remember it worked when I installed 4.4 and then 5.0 on
> my home desktop, 5.1 on my laptop (and once on my aux desktop at home)
> and 5.2 here at work....
>
> Cheers.
>
> mhr

Within the past month, I've done 5 installs of CentOS 5.1 on Dell
servers via their DRAC interface. They all behaved as I described.

Kind regards,

Herta