Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Ian Forde

Default ANSWER: Couple of CentOS 5.2 dhcp notes

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 15:57 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> 1. Apparently, since I updated from 5.1 to 5.2, dhcpd no longer wants to
> stay running. The config is sound, and I can start it from the
> command-line with the "-d" flag and it serves up leases. But without
> the -d flag, it just silently dies...

Well, *that* sucked. I had to start the daemon with a '-p 67' option to
get it to stick. So I stuck that into /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd as:

DHCPDARGS="-p 67"

and it started. Which led me down the "strace with and without the -p
option and compare the output" path...

Turns out that without the -p option, it looks up the port number to
use. nsswitch.conf in my case had "services: files ldap", which caused
it to fail. I changed it to "services: files" and it worked. What
kills me is that dhcpd died silently... and I have absolutely no desire
to put services into my ldap directory...

So I've taken out the -p argument, and all is well...

Thanks for the assist though!

-I

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Dag Wieers

[...]

Would you be so kind to report this problem to CentOS' bugtracker (and
probably Red Hat's Bugzilla) ?

http://bugs.centos.org/

This obviously is an error that can bite other people as well and the
least we can do is bring this to Red Hat's attention.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Johnny Hughes

Ian Forde wrote:

[...]

This also may have to do with the nss_ldap issue ... try my nss_ldap
from the testing repo (if you have nss_ldap installed).

http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes