Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Martin Sourada

Default system-software-{install,update} sketches - update

Following various suggestions either here or on my blog, here's the
proposal for final icons.

http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Applications/

The reason why I added the package to system-software-update as well was
because the arrows themselves missed some kind of context of what kind
of "refresh" they actually mean...

Comments welcome.

Martin

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Following various suggestions either here or on my blog, here's the
> proposal for final icons.
>
> http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Applications/
>
> The reason why I added the package to system-software-update as well was
> because the arrows themselves missed some kind of context of what kind
> of "refresh" they actually mean...

system-software-update is good enough. No complain about it.
system-software-installer appears to be odd (especially 16x16) with
package on the back. Could you make arrow straight to see how the icon
will turn out?

Luya

Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 00:34 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> system-software-update is good enough. No complain about it.
> system-software-installer appears to be odd (especially 16x16) with
> package on the back. Could you make arrow straight to see how the icon
> will turn out?

Hmm... is there a chance you talk about system-software-install and mean
system-software-update? To me system-software-update looks more odd.
Alas, there does not seem to be better way of making it - if we use only
the arrows, it seems to lack context, if we make the arrows smaller they
lack readability, having the arrows straight was one of my earlier tries
and it didn't seem to me to be any better than the rounded ones.

However, if you talk about what you mean then I don't understand fully
what you tried to say. Could you explain more?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 00:34 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > system-software-update is good enough. No complain about it.
> > system-software-installer appears to be odd (especially 16x16) with
> > package on the back. Could you make arrow straight to see how the icon
> > will turn out?
> >
> Hmm... is there a chance you talk about system-software-install and mean
> system-software-update? To me system-software-update looks more odd.

Yeah, that was the oddity of system-software-update I meant to mention. What
about moving the right arrow to the right?

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project contributor

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 04:50 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Yeah, that was the oddity of system-software-update I meant to mention. What
> about moving the right arrow to the right?

There's no place for that in 16x16 - the arrows take up whole width of
the canvas and in the other sizes I also filled the whole canvas, though
in a slightly different way

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me like we'll have to go
with just the arrows themselves. The package really don't work good with
it. I'll make them in the afternoon. Is there any preference as to which
should be red and which green? With the straight ones you seemed to be
inclining towards the upward pointing being red, while with the
clock-like Mark seemed to be inclined towards the downward pointing one
to be red...

Martin

Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Martin Sourada

Ok, as promised, here's another take on the system update. Looks like
there is no other option than to go without package

Martin

http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Applications/

Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM
"Luya Tshimbalanga"

2008/7/7 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

Ok, as promised, here's another take on the system update. Looks like

there is no other option than to go without package

These icons look good enough. To be consistent, down arrow should be green (installation) and up arrow red (removal).
Since those shapes are curved, these icons should differentiate from p2p version.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project Contributor
Fedora Artwork

Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 11:24 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

> 2008/7/7 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Ok, as promised, here's another take on the system update.
> Looks like
> there is no other option than to go without package
>
> These icons look good enough. To be consistent, down arrow should be
> green (installation) and up arrow red (removal).
Fixed.

> Since those shapes are curved, these icons should differentiate from
> p2p version.
Pushed to git and built into rawhide [1].

Thanks,
Martin