Old 07-06-2008, 04:32 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default i386 version of Perl getting installed on x64 system?

>Can you identify which one of these packages individually is requiring
>the 32-bit perl? In other words, can you install perl-LDAP without it
>wanting to pull in the 32-bit perl? Same for all of them...
>
>You can also do an rpm -q -R -p <rpm> on the .rpm file to see what it
>requires, but I'm not sure if that will tell us anything particularly
>useful.

I will try that tomorrow, pushed through to test something else so its now
I'll roll the lvm snap back (xen DomU).

>Have you tried the rpmforge IRC channel?

Didn't think of that, I will also log on to that to see why I cant subscribe.

Thanks!
jlc

Old 07-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Johnny Hughes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

Can you identify which one of these packages individually is requiring
the 32-bit perl? In other words, can you install perl-LDAP without it
wanting to pull in the 32-bit perl? Same for all of them...

You can also do an rpm -q -R -p <rpm> on the .rpm file to see what it
requires, but I'm not sure if that will tell us anything particularly
useful.

I will try that tomorrow, pushed through to test something else so its now
I'll roll the lvm snap back (xen DomU).

Have you tried the rpmforge IRC channel?

Didn't think of that, I will also log on to that to see why I cant subscribe.

There is a known issue with the new version of yum on RHEL/CentOS 5.2 ...

You need to specify the packages like this:

yum install <package_name>.x86_64

not

yum install <package_name>

If you do not specify, then yum can install both (or either) of i386 or
x86_64 packages to meet that requirement.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>There is a known issue with the new version of yum on RHEL/CentOS 5.2 ...
>
>You need to specify the packages like this:
>
>yum install <package_name>.x86_64
>
>not
>
>yum install <package_name>
>
>If you do not specify, then yum can install both (or either) of i386 or
>x86_64 packages to meet that requirement.

I think I found the offending package, I'll jump on the rf irc channel and see what I can make of this:

# yum list *HiRes*
<snip>
257 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Available Packages
perl-Time-HiRes.x86_64 1.9715-1.el5.rf rpmforge
perl-Time-HiRes-Value.noarch 0.05-1.el5.rf rpmforge

# yum install perl-Time-HiRes.x86_64
<snip>
257 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package perl.i386 4:5.8.8-10.el5_2.3 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libgdbm.so.2 for package: perl
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gdbm.i386 0:1.8.0-26.2.1 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ===========================
Installing:
perl i386 4:5.8.8-10.el5_2.3 extras 12 M
Installing for dependencies:
gdbm i386 1.8.0-26.2.1 base 27 k

Transaction Summary
================================================== ===========================
Install 2 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 12 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 09:55:03AM -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >There is a known issue with the new version of yum on RHEL/CentOS 5.2 ...
> >
> >You need to specify the packages like this:
> >
> >yum install <package_name>.x86_64
> >
> >not
> >
> >yum install <package_name>
> >
> >If you do not specify, then yum can install both (or either) of i386 or
> >x86_64 packages to meet that requirement.
>
> I think I found the offending package, I'll jump on the rf irc
> channel and see what I can make of this:
>
> # yum list *HiRes*
> <snip>
> 257 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Available Packages
> perl-Time-HiRes.x86_64 1.9715-1.el5.rf rpmforge
> perl-Time-HiRes-Value.noarch 0.05-1.el5.rf rpmforge
>
> # yum install perl-Time-HiRes.x86_64
> <snip>
> 257 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package perl.i386 4:5.8.8-10.el5_2.3 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: libgdbm.so.2 for package: perl
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package gdbm.i386 0:1.8.0-26.2.1 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> ================================================== ===========================
> Package Arch Version Repository Size
> ================================================== ===========================
> Installing:
> perl i386 4:5.8.8-10.el5_2.3 extras 12 M
> Installing for dependencies:
> gdbm i386 1.8.0-26.2.1 base 27 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> ================================================== ===========================
> Install 2 Package(s)
> Update 0 Package(s)
> Remove 0 Package(s)
>
> Total download size: 12 M
> Is this ok [y/N]:

Just to muddy the waters on this a bit more... for me, the rpmforge
perl-Time-HiRes package won't install as it conflicts with my base
installation of perl.

This is on a RHEL5.2 x86_64 system however.

# rpm -qf --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}
' /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Time/HiRes.pm
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.x86_64

So it seems HiRes is already provided by perl, although the actual file
that conflicts is a man page.

(This is why I generally avoid rpmforge if I can

Ray

Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Just to muddy the waters on this a bit more... for me, the rpmforge
>perl-Time-HiRes package won't install as it conflicts with my base
>installation of perl.

Yea, I just figured that out.

>This is on a RHEL5.2 x86_64 system however.

So I assume an x86 install doesn't have this issue?

># rpm -qf --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}
' /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Time/HiRes.pm
>perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.x86_64
>
>So it seems HiRes is already provided by perl, although the actual file
>that conflicts is a man page.

Doing a perldoc Time::HiRes gave info, so yes it does look like its provided already.

>(This is why I generally avoid rpmforge if I can

What else do you use then? I understood rpmforge was supposed to be the best 3rd part repo
for CentOS? I would assume any repo will have some issues once and a while...

jlc

Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 09:55:03AM -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> This is on a RHEL5.2 x86_64 system however.
>
> # rpm -qf --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}
' /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Time/HiRes.pm
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.x86_64
>
> So it seems HiRes is already provided by perl, although the actual file
> that conflicts is a man page.
>
> (This is why I generally avoid rpmforge if I can

This whole thing is not an rpmforge issue. As pointed out somewhere
else, it has to do with the way yum behaves on the x86_64 system.
See:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2934

and

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/004808.html

For example, I have a pure x86_64 system (no i386 packages installed).

# rpm -q perl
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.x86_64

# yum install perl
(snip)
Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ===========================
Installing:
perl i386 4:5.8.8-10.el5_2.3 extras 12 M
Installing for dependencies:
db4 i386 4.3.29-9.fc6 base 917 k
gdbm i386 1.8.0-26.2.1 base 27 k
libgcc i386 4.1.2-42.el5 base 93 k
libstdc++ i386 4.1.2-42.el5 base 360 k

Transaction Summary
================================================== ===========================
Install 5 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 13 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Of course, if I specify with a .x86_64, it will not pull the .386
perl. But when it is called as a dependency, you will get what is
seen above.

Akemi

Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Johnny Hughes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

[...]

I would say it is the "Best" one ... it seems there is a problem in this
instance.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:38 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I would say it is the "Best" one ... it seems there is a problem in this instance.

Its just not my day :P I used my gmail to sign up to rpmforge, and received the sub confirmation
instantly, replied to it and received my membership confirmation. Sent an email regarding both packages
I am having an issue with, and never saw it hit the list.

Looks like rpmforge's list has an issue as well

Hopefully Dag or someone else in charge over there spots this thread...

Thanks guys!
jlc

Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Johnny Hughes

Akemi Yagi wrote:

[...]

Well ... in this particular case there is a problem with a package that
conflicts with something that is part of the base perl.

The issue you bring up is also valid.

IF you have a PURE x86_64 system ... then you can put this line in yum.conf

exclude=*.i386 *.i686

That will keep it pure ... though, we are working on something to give
the previous behavior to yum.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Johnny Hughes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

I would say it is the "Best" one ... it seems there is a problem in this instance.

Its just not my day :P I used my gmail to sign up to rpmforge, and received the sub confirmation
instantly, replied to it and received my membership confirmation. Sent an email regarding both packages
I am having an issue with, and never saw it hit the list.

Looks like rpmforge's list has an issue as well

Hopefully Dag or someone else in charge over there spots this thread...

For the record, gmail does not follow the standard for greylists ... in
that a group of servers sends mail and a different server than the
original might send a "second" mail of one is greylisted.

Not sure if that is at play with the rpmforge list, but I thought I
would mention it here