Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Tony Molloy

Default CentOS 5.2 Missing Dependancy

On Saturday 05 July 2008 16:47:03 Jay Leafey wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > I am trying to install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5 from rf and it is failing
> > suggesting it needs /usr/bin/false. #yum whatprovides "/usr/bin/false"
> > yields nothing.
> >
> > My CentOS 5.1 machines don't have this, and this is the same list of yum
> > install items I always use when setting up assp.
> >
> > Any idea what to do?
> >
> > jlc
>
> Wierd, I just confirmed the issue. There is not a /usr/bin/false, but
> there IS a /bin/false on a stock 5.2 install. You might check in the
> rpmforge forums/list archives for some mention of this problem.
>
> I thought I might be able to symlink /bin/false to /usr/bin/false (a
> kludge, I admit) or copy /bin/false to /usr/bin/false, but neither seems
> to work for me. Like I said, probably best to check with rpmforge.
>
> Sorry!

I had no trouble copying it or linking it.

ln -s /bin/false /usr/bin/false

ls -al /usr/bin/false
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 5 17:47 /usr/bin/false -> /bin/false

So that's a quick workaround

Tony

Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I had no trouble copying it or linking it.

Yes, but how does that satisfy yum?
jlc

Old 07-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Tony Molloy

On Sunday 06 July 2008 05:07:38 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >I had no trouble copying it or linking it.
>
> Yes, but how does that satisfy yum?
> jlc

If the dependancy is purely on /usr/bin./false then when you copy it I think
yum should find it.

The problem would be if yum checks it's db to see if it has previously
installed /usr/bin/false and find that it hasn't. In that case it won't wok.

Why don't you try it and see what happens.

Tony

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Why don't you try it and see what happens.

I did, which is what lead me to believe it only checks the db
jlc

Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Tony Molloy

On Sunday 06 July 2008 07:20:33 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Why don't you try it and see what happens.
>
> I did, which is what lead me to believe it only checks the db
> jlc

Sorry,

Tony
Then you have a problem ;-)

Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 06:52 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> <snip>

> The problem would be if yum checks it's db to see if it has previously
> installed /usr/bin/false and find that it hasn't. In that case it won't wok.

If it won't "wok", you'l have to "cook" up something. :-) YUK, YUK!

--
Bill

Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Tony Molloy

On Sunday 06 July 2008 11:39:50 William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 06:52 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > The problem would be if yum checks it's db to see if it has previously
> > installed /usr/bin/false and find that it hasn't. In that case it won't
> > wok.
>
> If it won't "wok", you'l have to "cook" up something. :-) YUK, YUK!
>
> > <snip>

Very funny. I'll have to check for typos in future. Of course that one
wouldn't have been cought ;-)

Tony

Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>If it won't "wok", you'l have to "cook" up something. :-) YUK, YUK!

Now that's ironic (you'l):P

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 23:46 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >If it won't "wok", you'l have to "cook" up something. :-) YUK, YUK!
>
> Now that's ironic (you'l):P

Yeah, but not as good since it doesn't lend itself easily to "punning".

--
Bill