Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
"Art Age Software"

Default Problem with Bonding Driver

Hi,

I've using linux bonding in active-backup mode to combine two pairs of
GigE NICs (eth0/eth1, eth2/eth3) into two logical bonds (bond0/bond1).
All is working fine. However, I would like to specify a primary
interface for each bond. This means I need to specify different
options to the bonding module for each bond. I have tried every
conceivable incantation of options and cannot get the kernel to
recognize the second set of options.

Initially, my modprobe.conf looked like this:

alias bond0 bonding
alias bond1 bonding
options bonding mode=active-backup miimon=100 max_bonds=2

What I am trying to achieve should be possible by changing
modprobe.conf to this:

alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 -o bond0 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth0
alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 -o bond1 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth2

But this results in fatal errors while bringing up the bonding interfaces.

Changing to this eliminates the errors, but bond1 ignores the different options:

alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 -o bond0 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth0 max_bonds=1
alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 -o bond1 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth2 max_bonds=1

I have tried many other combinations as well:

install bond1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install bonding -o bond1
mode=active-backup primary=eth2

Nothing works.

I also came across this note in the bonding docs:

"NOTE: It has been observed that some Red Hat supplied kernels are
apparently unable to rename modules at load time (the "-o bond1"
part). Attempts to pass that option to modprobe will produce an
"Operation not permitted" error. This has been reported on some Fedora
Core kernels, and has been seen on RHEL 4 as well. On kernels
exhibiting this problem, it will be impossible to configure multiple
bonds with differing parameters."

I have seen that error as well with certain combinations of options in
my modprobe.conf.

Am I simply out of luck here? Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 AM
"Dirk H. Schulz"

Hi,

could you describe in more detail?

--On 4. Juli 2008 13:11:45 -0700 Art Age Software <artagesw@gmail.com>
Changing to this eliminates the errors, but bond1 ignores the different

What exactly is ignored? The options do not look much different.

alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 -o bond0 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth0
max_bonds=1 alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 -o bond1 miimon=100 mode=active-backup primary=eth2
max_bonds=1

"NOTE: It has been observed that some Red Hat supplied kernels are
apparently unable to rename modules at load time (the "-o bond1"
part).

Did you try without renaming? I do not use it, but it works nonetheless:
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=2
alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 mode=2

Dirk

Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM
"Art Age Software"

>>Hi,
>>
>>could you describe in more detail?
>>What exactly is ignored? The options do not look much different.

As I said, I am trying to set a different primary interface for each
bond: eth0 for bond0, and eth2 for bond1.

>>Did you try without renaming? I do not use it, but it works nonetheless:
>>alias bond0 bonding
>>options bond0 mode=2
>>alias bond1 bonding
>>options bond1 mode=2

You are setting identical options for both bonds. This masks the fact
that your second options line is ignored and essentially does nothing.
Try changing an option on bond1 (eg. set a different mode or a
different miimon value), and I think you will see that it is ignored.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 AM
"Dirk H. Schulz"

Hi,

--On 5. Juli 2008 09:45:16 -0700 Art Age Software <artagesw@gmail.com>
What exactly is ignored? The options do not look much different.

As I said, I am trying to set a different primary interface for each
bond: eth0 for bond0, and eth2 for bond1.

Does the second bonding interface have no primary interface, then? What
exactly happens?

Did you try without renaming? I do not use it, but it works nonetheless:
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=2
alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 mode=2

You are setting identical options for both bonds. This masks the fact
that your second options line is ignored and essentially does nothing.
Try changing an option on bond1 (eg. set a different mode or a
different miimon value), and I think you will see that it is ignored.

I had tested different setups during conception phase and had different
results.

Dirk

Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM
"Art Age Software"

>>Does the second bonding interface have no primary interface, then? What
>>exactly happens?

Yes, exactly. The second bond comes up with no primary interface:

# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: eth0
Currently Active Slave: eth0
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond1
Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: None
Currently Active Slave: eth2
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
"Art Age Software"

So, has anybody on this list gotten the bonding driver working with
more than a single bond and **different options** on the bonds in
CentOS 3/4/5 (I'm using 5.2)?

I am starting to believe that this is in fact a problem with Red Hat
kernels. But if so, I am surprised that it has persisted so long
without being addressed.

Should I file a bug with Red Hat? It is possible for CentOS to fix
kernel problems? Or must they always be fixed upstream?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
"Tim Verhoeven"

Hi,

I configure bonding interfaces a bit differently.

I put only this line into /etc/modprobe.conf :

alias bond0 bonding

And use this in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bondX :

DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.100.1
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
BONDING_OPTS="miimon=100 mode=1 primary=eth0"

I've got setup running like this in mode 1 (failover) and in mode 4
(LACP). Unfortunately I don't have any systems with more then 1 bond
and I don't have anything spare to set this up. But you can try your
setup using this way to configure it, maybe that helps.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
"Art Age Software"

Tim,

That works! I did not realize that the Red Hat network scripts have
support for bonding options. (I did not find this documented
anywhere.) But sure enough, I am able to set up a different primary
interface for each bond using this method.

Thanks so much!

Sam

Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Art Age Software <artagesw@gmail.com> wrote:
> That works! I did not realize that the Red Hat network scripts have
> support for bonding options. (I did not find this documented
> anywhere.) But sure enough, I am able to set up a different primary
> interface for each bond using this method.

Very interesting.

Looking under the hood, it's actually handled by the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth script, which writes the
values to the pseudo-files under /sys/class/net/bondX/bonding/, so
there you go, another way to change that dinamically without having to
restart the interface. Would you be kind to see if you can change the
primary "on-the-fly" using this method?

Thanks,
Filipe

Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
"Art Age Software"

>Very interesting.
>
>Looking under the hood, it's actually handled by the
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth script, which writes the
>values to the pseudo-files under /sys/class/net/bondX/bonding/, so
>there you go, another way to change that dinamically without having to
>restart the interface. Would you be kind to see if you can change the
>primary "on-the-fly" using this method?
>
>Thanks,
>Filipe

Yes, indeed. I have successfully changed both the primary interface
and the miimon value **while the interface is up** by directly writing
to the /sys/class/net/bondX/bonding/{Key} files. Changing the bonding
mode is not allowed while the interface is up (probably a good thing).

This is a great improvement over previous incarnations of Red Hat
bonding support. I have even successfully configured two bonds on the
same machine using different bonding modes for each. VERY useful!

Sam