-   -   Help to restore mysql data on CentOS 5 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/11905-help-restore-mysql-data-centos-5-a.html)

"Indunil Jayasooriya" 12-04-2007 10:11 AM

Help to restore mysql data on CentOS 5

Hi ,

Help is needed* to restore mysql data

This is the the setup.

2 Servers running on CentOS.

one server has both apache an mysql.

the other server only has mysql database. This server has about 12000 records in the database. Last week, It had* about 6000 records. then, Someone has* backed up these 6000 records to the web server. Now , We need to backup all 12000 records to the webserver.

How to archive this task?

If I restore these 12000 records to the web server, it already has 6000 records. Then, whall will happen? Shoud I override them?

Remember, this is a PRODUCTION SERVER.. I should do it properly.

I think I will have to do following steps.

first, I will have to dump the mysql server backup from database server.

This is the command I will have to enter from the database server.

mysqldump -u root -p databasename >
database.txt

then, I will have to mount a flash drive and copy database.txt to the flash drive.

Then, I will have to go to the web server and mount it there.

Then, finnaly, I have to restore
database.txt to web server as follows.

mysql -u root -p databasename < databas.txt

Am I RIGHT?

This data is extremely essential. I should be able to do it properly.

Any IDEAS?

--
Thank you

Indunil Jayasooriya

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

Tomasz 'Zen' Napierala 12-04-2007 11:01 AM

Help to restore mysql data on CentOS 5

Tuesday 04 December 2007 12:11:50 Indunil Jayasooriya napisaƂ(a):

[snip]
> I think I will have to do following steps.
>
> first, I will have to dump the mysql server backup from database server.
>
> This is the command I will have to enter from the database server.
>

> * mysqldump -u root -p databasename > database.txt*

You might want to add --add-drop-table to your mysqldump

> then, I will have to mount a flash drive and copy *database.txt* to the
> flash drive.
>
> Then, I will have to go to the web server and mount it there.
>
> Then, finnaly, I have to restore *database.txt* to web server as follows.
>
> *mysql -u root -p databasename < databas.txt*
>
> Am I RIGHT?

Is second DB RW or RO?

> This data is extremely essential. I should be able to do it properly.

Most production data is extremely essential ;)

Tomasz Napierala
System Administrator
QXL Poland - Allegro.pl Team
http://www.allegro.pl/

"Jim Perrin" 12-04-2007 01:31 PM

On Dec 4, 2007 6:11 AM, Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75@gmail.com> wrote:

> mysqldump -u root -p databasename > database.txt

You might also want to use -Qc, so that you quote the data and do
complete inserts. This depends mostly on the version of mysql that
you're running, which I didn't see in your initial post. Better safe
than sorry.

George Orwell