Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 AM
"Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd"

Default Can't run a bash script from USB drive

How can I control this (i.e., allow 'exec' on my USB drive(s))?

either:

mount /media/usb -o remount,exec

or more preferable, add exec into the /etc/fstab entry for your usb
drive (you might have to create one). It'll look something like:

/media/usb /dev/sdb1 vfat exec,user 0 0

/media/usb is the point you will mount to, and /dev/sdb1 is the actual
usb device. vfat is the filesystem type, and may be something else if
you've formatted the stick; but if it's an actual hard drive, it could
be something like ntfs. "man fstab" has a list of all the filesystems.

"user" will let non-root mount it.

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

MHR, this has been asked already yesterday. *Please* do read other posts!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
MHR

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> MHR, this has been asked already yesterday. *Please* do read other posts!

Strange - I read everything posted in this list. I don't always
understand everything, but I read them all.

I ran a search for "usb script" in the archives and did not find
anything - pray tell, where was I so blind?

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Mhr wrote on Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:47:39 -0700:

> I ran a search for "usb script" in the archives and did not find
> anything - pray tell, where was I so blind?

It's <59522.216.185.71.22.1215094606.squirrel@webmail.h arte-lyne.ca>
"Running shell scripts from external media". Maybe it got lost in your
spam filter?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 PM
MHR

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> It's <59522.216.185.71.22.1215094606.squirrel@webmail.h arte-lyne.ca>
> "Running shell scripts from external media". Maybe it got lost in your
> spam filter?

Nope I found the thread in my deleted (read) mail. It only partially
answered the question. Spiro's post (this thread) was more complete
(for me).

Sometimes it's good to have an issue raised more than once, if it
helps. This one helped me.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:47 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> > MHR, this has been asked already yesterday. *Please* do read other posts!
> >

> Strange - I read everything posted in this list. I don't always
> understand everything, but I read them all.
>
> I ran a search for "usb script" in the archives and did not find
> anything - pray tell, where was I so blind?

Your blindness is caused by a broken (IMO) search. I also had recently
searched for this and another thread. AFAICT, the "search" button on the
mailing lists intro page only checks archived stuff.

I had also tried this going directly from Google using site:centos.org.
Again no joy.

For a sample, search for your name & 2008 and July. NADA!

--
Bill

Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
MHR

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> For a sample, search for your name & 2008 and July. NADA!

Well, at least THAT part works properly....

:-)

mhr

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 13:15 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> > For a sample, search for your name & 2008 and July. NADA!
> >

> Well, at least THAT part works properly....

How so? Did you not post earlier? ... OH!

s/your name/your initials/

--
Bill

Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
MHR

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 13:15 -0700, MHR wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM, William L. Maltby
>> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > For a sample, search for your name & 2008 and July. NADA!
>> >

>> Well, at least THAT part works properly....
>
> How so? Did you not post earlier? ... OH!
>
> s/your name/your initials/
>
>> :-)

I meant it as a joke. (sigh)

mhr

Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Ralph Angenendt

William L. Maltby wrote:
> Your blindness is caused by a broken (IMO) search. I also had recently
> searched for this and another thread. AFAICT, the "search" button on the
> mailing lists intro page only checks archived stuff.

I've seen mails archived there before they hit my INBOX. But yes, google
has to go over it for you to see it >

Cheers,

Ralph