Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Message size rejected

My daughter needs to send me a large file. It appears that it is getting
through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server. The message
she's getting says

anne@localhost
SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan

I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to look.
Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can someone
please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks

I have reams of documentation printed out. I'll start wading through that
tomorrow, but time is of the essence with this one.

Anne

Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM
John Thomas

Anne Wilson wrote:

<snip>
I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to look.
Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can someone
please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks

I believe the following is about 30MB in postfix.
mailbox_size_limit = 30000000
message_size_limit = 30000000

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:06 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My daughter needs to send me a large file. It appears that it is getting
> through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server. The message
> she's getting says

> anne@localhost
> SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
> Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan
>
> I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to look.
> Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can someone
> please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks
>
> I have reams of documentation printed out. I'll start wading through that
> tomorrow, but time is of the essence with this one.
----
# grep size_limit /etc/postfix/main.cf
message_size_limit = 2560000000
mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000

Craig

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
"Meenoo Shivdasani"

> anne@localhost
> SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
> Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan
>
> I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to look.
> Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can someone
> please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks

If it's postfix, the parameter is message_size_limit -- the default is
10240000 (10MB) if it's not explicitly configured. This parameter
goes in main.cf.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
"Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd"

SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan
I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to look.
Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can someone
please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks

postfix (main.cf):
message_size_limit=<numberOfBytes>

sendmail (sendmail.mc):
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `<numberOfBytes>')

sendmail will need a 'make' to be run in the conf dir (probably /etc/mail)

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
John Thomas

Craig White wrote:

# grep size_limit /etc/postfix/main.cf
message_size_limit = 2560000000
mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000
Is that 2.5 TB? I must be getting old. When I was young, I thought
10MB was big.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 03 July 2008 22:12:10 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:06 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My daughter needs to send me a large file. It appears that it is getting
> > through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server. The message
> > she's getting says
> >
> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
> >
> > anne@localhost
> > SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
> > Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan
> >
> > I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to
> > look. Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can
> > someone please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks
> >
> > I have reams of documentation printed out. I'll start wading through
> > that tomorrow, but time is of the essence with this one.
>
> ----
> # grep size_limit /etc/postfix/main.cf
> message_size_limit = 2560000000
> mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000

So 'size_limit' is what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone. Now comes the
really hard bit. I have to tell her, blindfolded, how to tell the size of
the message she is sending. She uses btinternet's yahoo mailer, and I
haven't a clue what she can see there. :-(

Anne

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 14:21 -0700, John Thomas wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > # grep size_limit /etc/postfix/main.cf
> > message_size_limit = 2560000000
> > mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000
> Is that 2.5 TB? I must be getting old. When I was young, I thought
> 10MB was big.
----
;-)

what's zero but a placeholder ?

I think I do have 2 too many.

Craig

Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My daughter needs to send me a large file. It appears that it is getting
> through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server. The message
> she's getting says

Much as I dislike getting or giving "you asked for x, but here's how
to do it with y" I'm going to do so here.

Email is one of those things which is great for small files, and such,
but large transfers can cause issues at pretty much every aspect of
the trip. If you've already got a webserver running, add a password
protected area for uploads. You can even set it up to allow webdav
style transfers over https. This avoids any mail handling delays, lets
both parties know it got there successfully, and keeps the clutter out
of the mailserver.

George Orwell

Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:25 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008 22:12:10 Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 22:06 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > My daughter needs to send me a large file. It appears that it is getting
> > > through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server. The message
> > > she's getting says
> > >
> > > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
> > >
> > > anne@localhost
> > > SMTP error: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit
> > > Reporting-MTA: dns; borg2.lydgate.lan
> > >
> > > I presume that this is a configurable limit, but I'm not sure where to
> > > look. Since it says MTA I'm thinking that it's probably postfix. Can
> > > someone please tell me what parameter I'm looking for? Thanks
> > >
> > > I have reams of documentation printed out. I'll start wading through
> > > that tomorrow, but time is of the essence with this one.
> >
> > ----
> > # grep size_limit /etc/postfix/main.cf
> > message_size_limit = 2560000000
> > mailbox_size_limit = 5120000000
> >
> So 'size_limit' is what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone. Now comes the
> really hard bit. I have to tell her, blindfolded, how to tell the size of
> the message she is sending. She uses btinternet's yahoo mailer, and I
> haven't a clue what she can see there. :-(
----
get 'properties' (usually a right click on the file) of the file she's
attaching

Craig