Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Centos 5.2 upgrade - urlopen error unknown url type: media

Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:46:12 -0400:

> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

Searching the local folder of this list reveals two older postings from
you about this (one from December, one a few days ago). It seems to
indicate that your repo is not completely in sync. Either a new sync or
clean all got you going last time ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

Searching the local folder of this list reveals two older postings from
you about this (one from December, one a few days ago). It seems to
indicate that your repo is not completely in sync. Either a new sync or
clean all got you going last time ;-)

The other times a

yum clean all

did the job. Problems with old metadata, it would seem.

This time I did the clean first and still got the error.

I ran a rsync and did not get any updates to base.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

Searching the local folder of this list reveals two older postings
from you about this (one from December, one a few days ago). It seems
to indicate that your repo is not completely in sync. Either a new
sync or clean all got you going last time ;-)

The other times a

yum clean all

did the job. Problems with old metadata, it would seem.

This time I did the clean first and still got the error.

I ran a rsync and did not get any updates to base.
I should also mention that right now, I have a fresh install foranother
system running off this repo.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Toby Bluhm

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error unknown url type: media>

Searching the local folder of this list reveals two older postings
from you about this (one from December, one a few days ago). It
seems to indicate that your repo is not completely in sync. Either a
new sync or clean all got you going last time ;-)

The other times a

yum clean all

did the job. Problems with old metadata, it would seem.

This time I did the clean first and still got the error.

I ran a rsync and did not get any updates to base.
I should also mention that right now, I have a fresh install
foranother system running off this repo.

Just some guesses here . . .

Maybe something's buggered in /etc/yum.repos.d. Try comparing the broken
with the working. If the broken still looks right, try making a backup
of the broken & copy in the working - there may be some overlooked typo
or a character that's invisible to the editor program - like dos file
^M. Could also clear out all non Centos specific repos just to reduce
the noise.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:14 -0400, Toby Bluhm wrote:
> <snip>

> Just some guesses here . . .
>
> Maybe something's buggered in /etc/yum.repos.d. Try comparing the broken
> with the working. If the broken still looks right, try making a backup
> of the broken & copy in the working - there may be some overlooked typo
> or a character that's invisible to the editor program - like dos file
> ^M. Could also clear out all non Centos specific repos just to reduce
> the noise.

Just an FYI, in VI, the "l" command will show "hidden" characters in an
unambiguous way. Also, a diff between the two files would catch some
overlooked typo.

HTH
--
Bill

Old 07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:49:47 -0400:

> I should also mention that right now, I have a fresh install foranother
> system running off this repo.

Then, as Toby says, there might be something wrong with your local
yum/repo config. If I recall right you have a few (5.1, 5.2) repos "flying
around" and also installed from DVD in the past, so, you may simply be
using the wrong Base.repo file or the wrong line in it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Robert Moskowitz

William L. Maltby wrote:

Maybe something's buggered in /etc/yum.repos.d. Try comparing the broken
with the working. If the broken still looks right, try making a backup
of the broken & copy in the working - there may be some overlooked typo
or a character that's invisible to the editor program - like dos file
^M. Could also clear out all non Centos specific repos just to reduce
the noise.

Just an FYI, in VI, the "l" command will show "hidden" characters in an
unambiguous way. Also, a diff between the two files would catch some
overlooked typo.
The problem is deeper than this. I know that my local repo is being hit
for the 5.2 files. See that in the log. I just completed doing a yum
update on the system I just did an install.

I get the message with different rpms based on what I want to update.
yum update yum gets the parser as noted. yum update rpm gets the
message for the rpm rpm. yum upgrade gets it on chkconfig.

So there is something that got on this system from one of the 3rd party
repos that is causing the problem. Perhaps some MIME lib that I picked
up from rpmforge, jpackage, or kbsingh....

Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Robert Moskowitz