Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default PPPoE setup

My provider is getting ready to switch my DSL router to bridging mode
and I supply the router (so I can get no only IPv4 addresses but also
IPv6 addresses!).

Here are his 'instructions' to me:

"Basically you start pppoe, I give you the username and password for it,
and then I set the router to passthrough modem mode, and you initiate
the PPPoE session directly with my LNS back here. You'll get a dynamic
IP on the dsl side (which is normal) and then you just set up your
static routes in the linux box as normal. My LNS automatically routes
your traffic to the IP it randomly assigns to the DSL link. Once we
verify that IP6CP is up, I can assign you a /48 and you can rock out
with that however you want."

Currently I have a /26 IPv4 assignment which will continue.

So do I change the alias in modprobe.conf from eth0 to ppp0? Or is just
listing interface eth0 in hte pppoe.conf file enough?

From my ISP's comments, the pppoe negotiation will provide the address
for eth0. I already know my /26 allocation. I need to set up static
routes on eth1 for these IPv4 addresses (different subnets to different
internal firewalls). What tool do I use to set these?

And then I get to work with IPv6!

Pointers to Howtos are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Ramon Nieto

[...]

From my ISP's comments, the pppoe negotiation will provide the address
for eth0. I already know my /26 allocation. I need to set up static
routes on eth1 for these IPv4 addresses (different subnets to different
internal firewalls). What tool do I use to set these?

And then I get to work with
IPv6!

Pointers to Howtos are greatly appreciated.

Robert,

No, do not modify the alias for eth0, leave modprobe.conf unchanged.

How did you configured the pppoe link?

I have been using the adsl-setup command from the rp-pppoe package* to configure the dsl link, it generates the ifcfg-ppp0 file on /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts with the values needed to bring the link up such as the username, network interface to use, etc.

Also the adsl-setup command stores the username and password on the chap-secrets and pap-secrets files under /etc/ppp

After the dsl is configured you can bring it up /down with the adsl-start adsl-stop
commands.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Robert Moskowitz

[...]

From my ISP's comments, the pppoe negotiation will provide the address
for eth0. I already know my /26 allocation. I need to set up static
routes on eth1 for these IPv4 addresses (different subnets to different
internal firewalls). What tool do I use to set these?

And then I get to work with
IPv6!

Pointers to Howtos are greatly appreciated.

Robert,

No, do not modify the alias for eth0, leave modprobe.conf unchanged.

OK. That is what I thought. I suspect the advice I found was for a
different distro.

How did you configured the pppoe link?

I haven't yet. Trying to get the steps down before I do. Once I start,
I am off the net until it works.

I have been using the adsl-setup command from the rp-pppoe package to
configure the dsl link, it generates the ifcfg-ppp0 file on
/etc/sysconfig/network/scripts with the values needed to bring the
link up such as the username, network interface to use, etc.

Also the adsl-setup command stores the username and password on the
chap-secrets and pap-secrets files under /etc/ppp

After the dsl is configured you can bring it up /down with the
adsl-start adsl-stop commands.

OK. I see the adsl-setup command in both /sbin and /usr/sbin. So I can
run them and see what they produce.

What do you do to get adsl-start to run at boot (and at the proper point
in booting).

Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Ramon Nieto

What do you do to get adsl-start to run at boot (and at the proper point
in booting).

The adsl-setup command will ask you if you want the interface to start at boot time, also you can check the ONBOOT parameter in the ifcfg-ppp0 file.