Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Jerry Geis

Default upgrade to 5.2 now have gam_server how to turn it off

After upgrading to 5.2 I now have gam_server running.
How do I turn it off?
nothing with gam in /etc/init.d

Jerry

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Johnny Hughes

Jerry Geis wrote:

After upgrading to 5.2 I now have gam_server running.
How do I turn it off?
nothing with gam in /etc/init.d

If you are running gnome, I don't think you want to turn it off

Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 PM
John Newbigin

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:

After upgrading to 5.2 I now have gam_server running.
How do I turn it off?
nothing with gam in /etc/init.d

If you are running gnome, I don't think you want to turn it off
But you can probably configure it not to hog the cpu. On CentOS-4 I have
created /etc/gamin/gaminrc containing:

fsset ext3 poll 30

But that may no longer be required on CentOS 5.2

John.

John Newbigin
ITS Senior Analyst / Programmer
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/staff/jnewbigin

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:29 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> After upgrading to 5.2 I now have gam_server running.
> How do I turn it off?
> nothing with gam in /etc/init.d

gam_server runs on-demand. The only way to disable it is to not run
anything that uses FAM or gamin.