Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Followup - Ethernet poor performance

NiftyClusters Mitch wrote:

Good list:
Also add multiple runs of "traceroute" and also try ping, ping -f ,
ping -A and ping -R. See also ping6
If routes are dynamic we have one answer to the problem, I would
expect traceroute to have 'one' answer on a simple net.
If packets are falling on the floor then we need to know why.

The different invocations of ping can tell you if packets drop at slow
or fast transfer rates.
ping -R is slightly different than traceroute but if the return routes
flip one way then the
other we should know why.

Watch out for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg* where hardware addresses,
subnet masks, device driver links/ names etc. no longer match the hardware
when things move.

More, watch out for /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices where configs that
you thought you deleted live on to get you when your run
system-config-network. I just could not figure out, for a while, why
when I deleted /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.bak it would be
right back there!

Consider snooping packets on the link to see if all is as you expect. I keep an
old, slow network hub (not a switching hub) for the times when I want
to see the bits on the wire and
not the bits that the local driver is able to show me.

I have one as well. It is so hard to find them anymore....