Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Phil Savoie

Default how to create an mpeg4 mimetype (OT)

Hi All,

I think this may be off topic, but since it's through centos 5.2, I'm
not sure.

Here is what I would like to do:

I have created a web page for family to log into and view clips of my
new niece. My camera saves these clips in mpeg4 format. What I would
like to do is have the web clients click on the link and have either the
clip pop up a save dialog or even better, start playing the clip. Right
now if the link is clicked it starts downloading right away but the file
looks like gibberish. I guess what I am seeing is the raw code.

I think it's a mimetype thing but I'm not sure and if it is, how would I
create the mimetype entry to do what I would like?

Thanks in advance for any and all information received.

Phil

Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
"nate"

Phil Savoie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think this may be off topic, but since it's through centos 5.2, I'm
> not sure.
>
> Here is what I would like to do:
>
> I have created a web page for family to log into and view clips of my
> new niece. My camera saves these clips in mpeg4 format. What I would

What's the file extension? If you name it .mpg it should automatically
get a mime type of video/mpeg according to /etc/mime.types

nate

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Phil Savoie

nate wrote:

Phil Savoie wrote:

Hi All,

I think this may be off topic, but since it's through centos 5.2, I'm
not sure.

Here is what I would like to do:

I have created a web page for family to log into and view clips of my
new niece. My camera saves these clips in mpeg4 format. What I would

What's the file extension? If you name it .mpg it should automatically
get a mime type of video/mpeg according to /etc/mime.types

nate

Hi Nate,

The extension is ".mp4"

Phil

Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
"nate"

Phil Savoie wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> The extension is ".mp4"

I think the best thing to do is rename it to be .mpg as that is
more compatible(no need to change server config).

But if you really want to change the server config you can
edit /etc/mime.types and add an entry for mp4

My CentOS 4.x mime.types entry for video/mpeg:
video/mpeg mpeg mpg mpe

I believe just adding mp4 to the end of the line(with a space
separating it from mpe) would do the trick. Not sure if apache
needs to be restarted after the change but it wouldn't hurt in
any case.

nate

Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
"Dennis McLeod"

How are your friends and family going to play an MPEG4 file?
XP WMP11 won't play one without some codecs installed (For instance).
I usually install VLC on XP boxes.
What you could do is embed a player in the webpage (ala youtube), and then
they won't have to figure it out.
You will likely want to convert to .flv files.
I posted a command line script to use ffmpeg a few days ago.
You then need to get a player embedded.
Easy task, I use:
http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?about=JW_FLV_Media_Player

You can see some of ours here:

http://www.nissanofelkgrove.com/nissan_gtr.htm

Some of those are very large, even though they've been converted to flv's...

(FWIW, the flv files and player are stored on Amazon's S3 service, the
website itself is hosted elswhere. We just created the file structure, and
call the player and playlist on the webpage. They (the hosting company)
wanted 600.00 per month to do this for us. Our bill from Amazon last month
was $3.05

HTH,
Dennis

Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 19:26:51 Phil Savoie wrote:
> nate wrote:
> > Phil Savoie wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I think this may be off topic, but since it's through centos 5.2, I'm
> >> not sure.
> >>
> >> Here is what I would like to do:
> >>
> >> I have created a web page for family to log into and view clips of my
> >> new niece. My camera saves these clips in mpeg4 format. What I would
> >
> > What's the file extension? If you name it .mpg it should automatically
> > get a mime type of video/mpeg according to /etc/mime.types
> >
> > nate
>
> Hi Nate,
>
> The extension is ".mp4"

If you use kde this should be easily fixed. In kcontrol, KDE Components >
File associations. put 'mpg' into the search box. When the entry comes up
you should be able to add 'mp4' as another type that is to be treated in the
same way, that is, played back by the same applications.

Anne