Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Ben Marsh

Default Want to _prevent_ upgrade to centos 5.2

Hi,

With the release of 5.2 "yum update" seems to be upgrading our
computers from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.2. I note from release notes for
5.2 that you are only supposed to get 5.2 if you type in "yum upgrade".
On two seperate machines entering "yum update" has resulted in yum
geting repo information for packages with versions that only exist in
the base repository of centos 5.2.

The following snippet shows the beginning of yum update on a x86_64
server. It has noticed python-2.4.3-21.el5.x86_64,
ltrace-0.5-7.45svn.el5.x86_64 and system-config-securitylevel-tui.x86_64
0:1.6.29.1-2.1.el5 which are a CentOs 5.2 package. On a workstation yum
update resulted in upgrade of firefox from 1.5 to 3.0-0 beta5.

Can I stop this from happening? Ideally I would like to stay on a
particulare version of CentOS eg 5.2 until we can do a controlled
upgrade. Maybe we have the same problem as having stable specified in a
debian sources.list where what is meant by stable changes when a new
version of debian is released.

[root@huxley-ci yum.repos.d]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
epel 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
dell-hardware-auto 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
addons 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
dell-hardware-main 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 1.0 MB 00:05
################################################## 3431/3431
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 86 kB 00:00
################################################## 235/235
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 88 kB 00:01
################################################## 183/183
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for nspr to pack into transaction set.
nspr-4.7.0.99.2-1.el5.x86 100% |=========================| 5.5 kB 00:00
---> Package nspr.x86_64 0:4.7.0.99.2-1.el5 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for python to pack into transaction set.
python-2.4.3-21.el5.x86_6 100% |=========================| 225 kB 00:01
---> Package python.x86_64 0:2.4.3-21.el5 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for pam to pack into transaction set.
pam-0.99.6.2-3.27.el5.i38 100% |=========================| 84 kB 00:00
---> Package pam.i386 0:0.99.6.2-3.27.el5 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for ltrace to pack into transaction set.
ltrace-0.5-7.45svn.el5.x8 100% |=========================| 8.1 kB 00:00
---> Package ltrace.x86_64 0:0.5-7.45svn.el5 set to be updated
---> Downloading header for system-config-securitylevel-tui to pack into
transaction set.

system-config-securitylev 100% |=========================| 29 kB 00:00
---> Package system-config-securitylevel-tui.x86_64 0:1.6.29.1-2.1.el5
set to be updated

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Alex White

Ben Marsh wrote:

Hi,

With the release of 5.2 "yum update" seems to be upgrading our
computers from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.2. I note from release notes for
5.2 that you are only supposed to get 5.2 if you type in "yum upgrade".
On two seperate machines entering "yum update" has resulted in yum
geting repo information for packages with versions that only exist in
the base repository of centos 5.2.

<snipped>

yum update will update your machine to the most current packages
just like yum upgrade unless you've modified your /etc/yum.conf to
remove obsoletes=1.

Per the man page yum update with obsoletes enabled is the same as
yum upgrade. I believe that if you want to remain at 5.1 you'll have
to stop updating. It is expected that running yum update will bring
you forward to 5.2.

Can I stop this from happening? Ideally I would like to stay on a
particulare version of CentOS eg 5.2 until we can do a controlled
upgrade. Maybe we have the same problem as having stable specified in a
debian sources.list where what is meant by stable changes when a new
version of debian is released.

<snipped yum output>
You're going to be missing security updates. This has been discussed
here before. The minor number could be compared to a service pack
from the Windows world. Depending on one's environment, one may not
want to necessarily throw the latest service packs into production
right away either.

HTH

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Johnny Hughes

Ben Marsh wrote:

[...]

If you desire version control, the you need to setup your own mirrors
and only put authorized configuration in those mirrors. Then you run
updates against your mirrors only.

CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
updates for CentOS-5. Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
update, it would also update you to the same packages. What this means
is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a new version.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Les Mikesell

Johnny Hughes wrote:

CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
updates for CentOS-5. Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
update, it would also update you to the same packages. What this means
is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a new version.

I think the firefox/OOo version jumps are the surprises here. We've
come to expect boring consistency with few feature changes across minor
updates. I think it is a great thing for the desktop apps to change
faster than the base os and server apps, but it seems like an upstream
policy change especially for the big jump in firefox.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Johnny Hughes

Les Mikesell wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
updates for CentOS-5. Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
update, it would also update you to the same packages. What this
means is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a
new version.

I think the firefox/OOo version jumps are the surprises here. We've
come to expect boring consistency with few feature changes across minor
updates. I think it is a great thing for the desktop apps to change
faster than the base os and server apps, but it seems like an upstream
policy change especially for the big jump in firefox.

That may be ... but it is not a policy we (the CentOS Project) made.
Also, if you have a RHEL-5 subscription and you run an update, you get
the same packages.

Also if one wants to not do all upgrades then one must devise their own
method of version control ... for CentOS or for RHEL.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-2-2008 10:37 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

CentOS-5 is the real version ... 5.2 is just a point in time set of
updates for CentOS-5. Understand that if you had RHEL-5 and ran an
update, it would also update you to the same packages. What this
means is that 5.2 is just an update set for CentOS-5 .. not really a
new version.

I think the firefox/OOo version jumps are the surprises here. We've
come to expect boring consistency with few feature changes across minor
updates. I think it is a great thing for the desktop apps to change
faster than the base os and server apps, but it seems like an upstream
policy change especially for the big jump in firefox.

I'm almost sure it was a logistics change and not policy. They probably hit a
wall in backporting patches to 1.5 tree of Firefox. So if they had to jump,
jump with both feet out!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM
"nate"

Scott Silva wrote:

> I'm almost sure it was a logistics change and not policy. They probably hit
> wall in backporting patches to 1.5 tree of Firefox. So if they had to jump,
> jump with both feet out!

Just a personal preference but I liked how Debian approached it myself -

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel

(specifically the part about back porting the fixes to the included version
of Iceweasel rather than upgrading to a new major version)

It seems kind of scary that upstream would change major versions like
that in a point release. They certainly have more resources to be able
to back port stuff vs other distributions. Though I suppose since most of
their installations are on servers it may not be such a big deal. All
of my RHEL/CentOS systems are servers, none run any X11 apps, for that
I use Debian or Ubuntu(for newer hardware) typically. My company's
SSL VPN software for example doesn't work in Firefox 3. Though we are
running an old version of the VPN software, our last update attempt
resulted in the device losing it's configuration, haven't yet tried
again. I can imagine the headache that would ensue in such an environment
where things are controlled/tested, then a new major version gets
installed automatically..ouch. Fortunately it's not something I have
to deal with

nate

Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Bob Taylor

> I think the firefox/OOo version jumps are the surprises here. We've
> come to expect boring consistency with few feature changes across minor
> updates. I think it is a great thing for the desktop apps to change
> faster than the base os and server apps, but it seems like an upstream
> policy change especially for the big jump in firefox.

Unfortunately Firefox 1.x has become useless on too many sites. A reply
from one was, essentially, gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Bob
--
Bob Taylor