Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
"drew einhorn"

Default setroubleshoot

There is a setroubleshoot package that
runs under X, that really makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot
selinux, but I really don't want to run X on all my vms.

Does anyone here know of an equivalent that doesn't
require X?
--
Drew Einhorn

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Dan Halbert

drew einhorn wrote:

There is a setroubleshoot package that
runs under X, that really makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot
selinux, but I really don't want to run X on all my vms.

Does anyone here know of an equivalent that doesn't
require X?
Is it that you don't want to install the required libraries, or that you
don't want to have the X server running? You can install the X software
and change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to 3 (from 5) so that X
won't start. You could still then use setroubleshoot over a networked X
connection.

Dan

Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
"drew einhorn"

I used to struggle with troubleshooting selinux problems,
until I discovered setroubleshoot, a package that
runs under X, that really makes it a lot easier, but I really

Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
John Dennis

drew einhorn wrote:

I used to struggle with troubleshooting selinux problems,
until I discovered setroubleshoot, a package that
runs under X, that really makes it a lot easier, but I really
don't want to run X on all my vms.

Does anyone here know of an equivalent that doesn't
require X?

setroubleshoot also runs without X, e.g. without a GUI.

Instead of installing the package setroubleshoot install the package
setroubleshoot-server. To see your alerts run 'sealert -l *' or to get
email sent to you when an alert occurs edit
/var/lib/setroubleshoot/email_alert_recipients, add a line containing
your email address, if you only want email the first time an alert fires
and not subsuequently add "filter_type=after_first" after the email address.

--
John Dennis <jdennis@redhat.com>

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
"James B. Byrne"

In-Reply To: <b93ef9d00807011040j393b6f0aoa261888c20205f7c@mail .gmail.com>

On: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:40:38 -0600, "drew einhorn"
<drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a setroubleshoot package that runs under X, that really
> makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot selinux, but I really don't
> want to run X on all my vms.
>
> Does anyone here know of an equivalent that doesn't require X?

'sealert', the client portion of 'setroubleshoot', runs from the command
line as well as under 'x'. Check the man page for sealert.

"sealert may also be run in command line mode. The two most useful
command line options are -l to "lookup" an alert ID and -a to "analyze" a
log file. When setroubleshootd generates a new alert it assigns it a
local ID and writes this as a syslog message. The -l lookup option may
then be used to retrieve the alert from the setroubleshootd alert
database and write it to stdout. This is most useful when
setroubleshootd is being run on a headless system without the GUI
desktop alert facility."

Sincerely,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***