Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Michel van Deventer

Default EPIA-M board for Centos

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 15:27 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > Is there any problems using this board?
> >
> > I have a dead board in a Book-PC (board size 10.5"x6") so am looking for
> > a new board.
> >

> if you are going to use centos-5 make sure you get a cpu that works with
> it ( there is no i586 support in centos-5 )
My backupserver is an EPIA-M10000, runs CentOS 5 perfectly. I thought
all Via Epia's 1Ghz and up speak i686 But you might want to Google to
be sure.

Regards,

Michel

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Karanbir Singh

Michel van Deventer wrote:

if you are going to use centos-5 make sure you get a cpu that works with
it ( there is no i586 support in centos-5 )

My backupserver is an EPIA-M10000, runs CentOS 5 perfectly. I thought
all Via Epia's 1Ghz and up speak i686 But you might want to Google to
be sure.

< 1000Mhz work too... eg: this one works fine ..

model name : VIA Nehemiah
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 600.014
cache size : 64 KB

- KB

Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Is there any problems using this board?

I have a dead board in a Book-PC (board size 10.5"x6") so am looking for
a new board.

if you are going to use centos-5 make sure you get a cpu that works
with it ( there is no i586 support in centos-5 )

Gee, that is what I am asking. Does the VIA EPIA-M work for Centos-5???

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Michel van Deventer wrote:
if you are going to use centos-5 make sure you get a cpu that works
with

it ( there is no i586 support in centos-5 )

My backupserver is an EPIA-M10000, runs CentOS 5 perfectly. I thought
all Via Epia's 1Ghz and up speak i686 But you might want to Google to
be sure.

< 1000Mhz work too... eg: this one works fine ..

model name : VIA Nehemiah
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 600.014
cache size : 64 KB

Thank you. Time to order...

Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

if you are going to use centos-5 make sure you get a cpu that works
with

Thank you. Time to order...

I have also been running one of these:

vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : VIA Esther processor 1200MHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 1197.113
cache size : 128 KB

And it works quite well, its a fanless setup at 400 or 600Mhz, so can
run really quiet, at 1200Mhz though it needs a fan. I've got this
running a 4 x 1 TiB mdraid-0 ( yes, 0 ) on a el-cheapo sil based sata
interface card on a Gigabit Ethernet and can get upto 160MiB/sec out of
the machine on iscsi.

- KB

Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Peter Arremann

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 09:40:31 am Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Is there any problems using this board?
>
> I have a dead board in a Book-PC (board size 10.5"x6") so am looking for
> a new board.
>
> Actually I want 2 LAN ports. 'Router' boards with enough umph to run
> Centos are expensive.
>
> I can pick up a VIA epia-m with 512Mb memory for $70 including shipping,
> so this is rather attractive option. I do have a 100Mb low-height PCI
> board that I can use.
>
> Fitting the board and card into the Book-PC box will be a bit of DIY
> engineering, but other than maybe loosing the front USB ports (big deal
> in the case), looks manageable.
>
> thanks for any experience/advise.
I've had some pretty bad luck with the Epia-m stuff. While the newer ones are
all i686 compatible, there seem to be random issues there. Not well tested in
the mainstream kernel I guess. After a FC7 kernel upgrade, they wouldn't boot
anymore - kernel would dump and nobody could figure out why. A RHEL 5 (not
centos) kernel somewhere along the line also had issues.

I've built some successful systems on the Atom 230 recently. Much faster than
the Epia and about the same price
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342)
So far everything works out of the box and its much faster than even the
1.2Ghz Epia's I tried.
Fan is fairly noisy though. :-(

Peter.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I've built some successful systems on the Atom 230 recently. Much faster than
>the Epia and about the same price
>(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342)
>So far everything works out of the box and its much faster than even the
>1.2Ghz Epia's I tried.
>Fan is fairly noisy though. :-(

Peter,
Does that unit support pxe and what type of pata controller is on it?
It doesn't use those newer generation jmicron (and variations) does it?
I need to build a few pxe booted thinclients for use with rdesktop and those
look good!

thanks,
jlc

Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

Does that unit support pxe and what type of pata controller is on it?
It doesn't use those newer generation jmicron (and variations) does it?

the new generation ( well, anything in the last 2 years or so ) JMicron
's are all 100% AHCI compatible and do a fairly good job of just being a
sata interface, and I've not seen a JMicron pata interface in years..
not sure if they even make those anymore.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }

Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Peter Arremann

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 06:24:55 pm Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Peter,
> Does that unit support pxe and what type of pata controller is on it?
> It doesn't use those newer generation jmicron (and variations) does it?
> I need to build a few pxe booted thinclients for use with rdesktop and
> those look good!
>
> thanks,
> jlc

Its based around a Intel 945GC and ICH7 - so no issues there with the pata
controller.
However, what you may need is the realtek driver - compiled fine for RHEL 5.2.
F9 worked for me but others say it doesn't...
Haven't tried PXE boot.

Peter.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>the new generation ( well, anything in the last 2 years or so ) JMicron
>'s are all 100% AHCI compatible and do a fairly good job of just being a
>sata interface, and I've not seen a JMicron pata interface in years..
>not sure if they even make those anymore.

Well, I admit my inquiry was not CentOS relevant Thinstation does not
have support for that stuff as it seems! And that is what I would need to use.

jlc