-   -   why yum cannot find lighttpd? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/116614-why-yum-cannot-find-lighttpd.html)

hce 07-01-2008 01:55 AM

why yum cannot find lighttpd?

Hi,

I tried to install lighttpd in CentOS 5.2, but yum list lighttpd
returned an error of "no matching packages to list". Should it be
installed from source tarball?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Ray Van Dolson 07-01-2008 02:02 AM

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:55:21AM +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install lighttpd in CentOS 5.2, but yum list lighttpd
> returned an error of "no matching packages to list". Should it be
> installed from source tarball?

It's not included with the base CentOS (RHEL) distribution. You'll
want to grab it from a 3rd party rebpository like EPEL:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

(It is included in EPEL). Other repositories may have it as well.

Ray

"Jim Perrin" 07-01-2008 02:03 AM

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install lighttpd in CentOS 5.2, but yum list lighttpd
> returned an error of "no matching packages to list". Should it be
> installed from source tarball?

lighttpd is not part of the default operating system, which is why yum
can't find it.

Rather than installing from source (bad idea on a system using package
management), you should use one of the 3rd party repositories. These
repositories augment the base package set with a number of other
options. See http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

George Orwell

Stephen Harris 07-01-2008 02:03 AM

why yum cannot find lighttpd?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:55:21AM +1000, hce wrote:
> I tried to install lighttpd in CentOS 5.2, but yum list lighttpd
> returned an error of "no matching packages to list". Should it be

You need to configure rpmforge or another repo for this; it's not part
of the core OS.

Name : lighttpd
Arch : i386
Version: 1.4.19
Release: 1.el5.rf
Size : 1.1 M
Repo : rpmforge
Secure, fast, compliant and very flexible web-server which has been optimized
for high-performance environments. It has a very low memory footprint compared
to other webservers and takes care of cpu-load. Its advanced feature-set
(FastCGI, CGI, Auth, Output-Compression, URL-Rewriting and many more) make
it the perfect webserver-software for every server that is suffering load
problems.

Available rpmbuild rebuild options :
--with : gamin webdavprops webdavlocks memcache
--without : ldap gdbm lua (cml) ssl

--

rgds
Stephen

Barry Brimer 07-01-2008 02:03 AM

why yum cannot find lighttpd?

I tried to install lighttpd in CentOS 5.2, but yum list lighttpd
returned an error of "no matching packages to list". Should it be
installed from source tarball?

lighttpd is not in the CentOS repositories. It is however a part of the
rpmforge repositories. Add the rpmforge repository and then you will find
it.

Barry