Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 AM
hce

Default Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Hi,

I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 AM
Alex White

hce wrote:

Hi,

I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
saying that there's no sound device?

Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio

If I recall you're using gnome. You should (but may not) have a
volume icon on your panel. Right click that icon and ensure that the
mute box is not checked. If it's not checked, select "Open Volume
Control" and make sure your volume is turned up. If you still do not
have sound try right clicking the volume speaker icon again and
selecting "Preferences". Make sure that the correct device is selected.

I googled around and found various issues with the model of Acer you
have listed, but sound didn't seem to be a problem save for one user
using Ubuntu (I didn't spend that much time looking, sorry) who only
got sound out of one speaker. A Fedora review of sorts listed the
chipset as just working, but I believe that was for Fedora 8.

HTH

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 23:51 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
> > audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
> > CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?
> >
> > Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> > Controller (rev 03)
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Jim
>
> When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
> saying that there's no sound device?
>
> Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
> can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
> work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio
>
> If I recall you're using gnome. You should (but may not) have a
> volume icon on your panel. Right click that icon and ensure that the
> mute box is not checked. If it's not checked, select "Open Volume
> Control" and make sure your volume is turned up. If you still do not
> have sound try right clicking the volume speaker icon again and
> selecting "Preferences". Make sure that the correct device is selected.

Be aware that the volume control panel default settings may not show all
the pertinent controls. In that panel you may need to edit preferences
to show such things as PCM control, etc. Some of these may also be muted
and/or set to very low volumes.

--
Bill

Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
hce

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 23:51 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> hce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
>> audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
>> CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?
>>
>> Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
>> Controller (rev 03)
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Jim
>>
> When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
> saying that there's no sound device?

No.

>> Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
>> can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
>> work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio

Please see following lspci information for the audio, seems ok.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

> If I recall you're using gnome. You should (but may not) have a
> volume icon on your panel. Right click that icon and ensure that the
> mute box is not checked. If it's not checked, select "Open Volume
> Control" and make sure your volume is turned up. If you still do not
> have sound try right clicking the volume speaker icon again and
> selecting "Preferences". Make sure that the correct device is selected.

All checked, no problem at all.

> Be aware that the volume control panel default settings may not show all
> the pertinent controls. In that panel you may need to edit preferences
> to show such things as PCM control, etc. Some of these may also be muted
> and/or set to very low volumes.

The Volume Control Preference is set to:

HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)

PCM

Mute is not checked, and the volumes are adjusted to maximum levels.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:52 +1000, hce wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 23:51 -0500, Alex White wrote:
> > hce wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
> >> audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
> >> CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?
> >>
> >> Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> >> Controller (rev 03)
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Kind Regards,
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>
> > When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
> > saying that there's no sound device?
>
> No.
>
> >> Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
> >> can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
> >> work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio
>
> Please see following lspci information for the audio, seems ok.
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 66
> Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> ><snip>

I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
examine that might give a clue.

First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.

Under 5.2, was that file changed by update? Do "updatedb" and then
"locate rpmnew" and "locate rpmsave". If any are found, that indicates
that a new config (usually) file is available or was installed. These
need to be examined and sometimes adjusted (rpmsave) or adjusted and
installed (rpmnew).

Check (5.1 and 5.2) /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages for anything
related to the sound. If the device was found, there should be something
there.

Under 5.2, do an lsmod and see if the drivers were loaded. Also, after
the updatedb, use locate and see if the module is found.

HTH
--
Bill

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
hce

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:36 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:52 +1000, hce wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM, William L. Maltby
>> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>> > When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
>> > saying that there's no sound device?
>>
>> No.

>> Please see following lspci information for the audio, seems ok.
>>
>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
>> Controller (rev 03)
>> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 66
>> Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> Capabilities: <access denied>
>>
>> ><snip>
>
> I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
> examine that might give a clue.
>
> First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
> audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.

Please see following results from modproble.conf and lsmod. I can see
that the soundcore was loaded, I guess the audio module was loaded,
right?

$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ahci
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

$ /sbin/lsmod
Module Size Used by
i915 23745 2
drm 65493 3 i915
ipv6 258273 24
xfrm_nalgo 13765 1 ipv6
crypto_api 11969 1 xfrm_nalgo
autofs4 24517 2
hidp 23105 2
rfcomm 42457 0
l2cap 29505 10 hidp,rfcomm
bluetooth 53797 5 hidp,rfcomm,l2cap
sunrpc 144893 1
cpufreq_ondemand 12493 1
dm_mirror 29253 0
dm_multipath 22089 0
dm_mod 61661 2 dm_mirror,dm_multipath
video 21193 0
sbs 18533 0
backlight 10049 1 video
i2c_ec 9025 1 sbs
button 10705 0
battery 13637 0
asus_acpi 19289 0
ac 9157 0
parport_pc 29157 0
lp 15849 0
parport 37513 2 parport_pc,lp
joydev 13313 0
snd_hda_intel 24793 1
snd_hda_codec 210881 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy 7877 0
snd_seq_oss 32577 0
snd_seq_midi_event 11073 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49585 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 11725 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 42945 0
snd_mixer_oss 19009 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 72005 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 24517 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 52421 11
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,sn d_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd _timer
soundcore 11553 1 snd
sg 36189 0
ide_cd 40033 0
snd_page_alloc 14281 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
sdhci 21337 0
mmc_core 27457 1 sdhci
cdrom 36705 1 ide_cd
pcspkr 7105 0
tg3 107717 0
i2c_i801 11597 0
i2c_core 23745 2 i2c_ec,i2c_i801
serio_raw 10693 0
ata_piix 22341 0
ahci 30149 2
libata 143997 2 ata_piix,ahci
sd_mod 24897 3
scsi_mod 134605 3 sg,libata,sd_mod
ext3 123593 2
jbd 56553 1 ext3
uhci_hcd 25421 0
ohci_hcd 23261 0
ehci_hcd 33357 0

> Under 5.2, was that file changed by update? Do "updatedb" and then
> "locate rpmnew" and "locate rpmsave". If any are found, that indicates
> that a new config (usually) file is available or was installed. These
> need to be examined and sometimes adjusted (rpmsave) or adjusted and
> installed (rpmnew).

The 5.2 was installed from scratch, it was not updated from an old version.

> Check (5.1 and 5.2) /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages for anything
> related to the sound. If the device was found, there should be something
> there.

I've checked dmesg and messages, but could not find any word to Audio,
or audio, or sound. But again, I checked dmesg and messages from my
desktop which installed FC7 and I could not find anything to audio and
sound as well.

The only suspecious I could find was following boot message, but I am
not sure it was related or not, and not sure how could fix following.

PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq". If it helps, post a report
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5

> Under 5.2, do an lsmod and see if the drivers were loaded. Also, after
> the updatedb, use locate and see if the module is found.

What is the name of the audio module and driver from lsmod? I can only
found soundcore as above.

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Alex White

hce wrote:

I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
examine that might give a clue.

That makes you and me both.

First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.

Please see following results from modproble.conf and lsmod. I can see
that the soundcore was loaded, I guess the audio module was loaded,
right?

$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ahci
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

<snipped some of the output>

snd_hda_intel 24793 1
snd_hda_codec 210881 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy 7877 0
snd_seq_oss 32577 0
snd_seq_midi_event 11073 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49585 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 11725 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 42945 0
snd_mixer_oss 19009 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 72005 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 24517 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 52421 11
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,sn d_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd _timer
soundcore 11553 1 snd
sg 36189 0
ide_cd 40033 0
snd_page_alloc 14281 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

The 5.2 was installed from scratch, it was not updated from an old version.

<snipped>

[...]

I can't speak to this, I'm not familiar with the above output. I'll
look into it this evening.

Under 5.2, do an lsmod and see if the drivers were loaded. Also, after
the updatedb, use locate and see if the module is found.

What is the name of the audio module and driver from lsmod? I can only
found soundcore as above.

The module's name is snd-hda-intel. It's listed in your output from
lsmod. I see it up there, I removed most of the irrelevant (to me at
least) modules that were in there so you could more easily see it.

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards,

Jim

What's interesting about your problem is that it was mentioned in
several Ubuntu forums while I was googling. The solutions I've seen
mentioned both in Suse and Ubuntu forums is to use the latest
version of Alsa. That may require some 'by hand' installation, and I
am not sure you want to do that.

Here are a couple of links that mention the card "just working" and
issues similar to yours.

http://bluegargoyle.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-R61i-CentOS5-MAJ20080428.html
Mind the wrapping, but this link shows the controller just working.

Someone having the no sound problem on a different laptop make and
model, but same sound controller as yours.

I looked around for some devices with that chipset, but I don't have
any, so I can't experiment. I'll keep scouring the net.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 10:22 +1000, hce wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:36 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:52 +1000, hce wrote:

> >> No.

> >> Please see following lspci information for the audio, seems ok.
> >>
> >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> >> Controller (rev 03)
> >> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
> >> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 66
> >> Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> >> Capabilities: <access denied>

Hmmm... Since I know very little about this stuff, I thought I would
look (and maybe learn something too). I have a different chip set, but
some things should be in common. My hope is something visual will jump
out at you or someone who is knowledgeable will spot something.

# lspci -v # Snipped non-related stuff out
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
Subsystem: EPoX Computer Co., Ltd. Unknown device 300c
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
I/O ports at eb00 [size=256]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

Note that my capabilities are listed while yours are "access denied".
Were you root when you ran lspci? I don't know if that is significant.

> > I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
> > examine that might give a clue.
> >
> > First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
> > audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.
>
> Please see following results from modproble.conf and lsmod. I can see
> that the soundcore was loaded, I guess the audio module was loaded,
> right?
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 tg3
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias scsi_hostadapter1 ahci
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

# Pertinent portion of my modprobe.conf

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-via82xx index=0
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx

Looks OK to me.

> $ /sbin/lsmod
> Module Size Used by
> <snip unrelated stuff>

> snd_hda_intel 24793 1
> snd_hda_codec 210881 1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_seq_dummy 7877 0
> snd_seq_oss 32577 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 11073 1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq 49585 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device 11725 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss 42945 0
> snd_mixer_oss 19009 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 72005 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer 24517 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd 52421 11
> snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,sn d_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd _timer
> soundcore 11553 1 snd
> sg 36189 0
> ide_cd 40033 0
> snd_page_alloc 14281 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

<snip unrelated stuff>

Here is the relevant stuff from my unit.

# Snipped out irrelevant stuff, edited long lines
Module Size Used by
snd_via82xx 30041 1
gameport 18633 1 snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec 93025 1 snd_via82xx
ac97_bus 6337 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_dummy 7877 0
snd_seq_oss 32577 0
snd_seq_midi_event 11073 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49585 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss 42945 0
snd_mixer_oss 19009 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 72005 3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 24517 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 14281 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 12097 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 26561 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 11725 4
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd 52421 13 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ pcm,
snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_devi ce
soundcore 11553 1 snd

Again, looks OK to my ignorant eyes.

> <snip>

> > Check (5.1 and 5.2) /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages for anything
> > related to the sound. If the device was found, there should be something
> > there.
>
> I've checked dmesg and messages, but could not find any word to Audio,
> or audio, or sound. But again, I checked dmesg and messages from my
> desktop which installed FC7 and I could not find anything to audio and
> sound as well.
>
> The only suspecious I could find was following boot message, but I am
> not sure it was related or not, and not sure how could fix following.
>
> PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq". If it helps, post a report
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5

Except for the first line, I don't know if the above lines hold any
hope. But I think the first line might be useful suggestion?

Mine has that first line too

# I thought this might be useful, unsure though.
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq". If it helps, post a
report

> <snip>

> What is the name of the audio module and driver from lsmod? I can only
> found soundcore as above.

Mine is the snd_via82xx. Yours s/b snd-hda-intel.

> Thank you so much.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jim
> <snip>

AFAICT, your stuff looks OK. We need more knowledgeable help.

A useful command is modinfo. Do a "man modinfo" for details. It is
useful in investigating this stuff. Note useful lines below, like
"depends" and "parm". E.g

# modinfo snd_via82xx
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.6.el5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via82xx.ko
license: GPL
author: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
srcversion: E4EB4562EAA5912A94BAAB7
alias: pci:v00001106d00003059sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001106d00003058sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:
snd-ac97-codec,snd-pcm,snd-page-alloc,snd-mpu401-uart,snd,gameport
vermagic: 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 SMP mod_unload 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS
gcc-4.1
parm: index:Index value for VIA 82xx bridge. (int)
parm: id:ID string for VIA 82xx bridge. (charp)
parm: mpu_port:MPU-401 port. (VT82C686x only) (long)
parm: joystick:Enable joystick. (VT82C686x only) (bool)
parm: ac97_clock:AC'97 codec clock (default 48000Hz). (int)
parm: ac97_quirk:AC'97 workaround for strange hardware.
(charp)
parm: dxs_support:Support for DXS channels (0 = auto, 1 =
enable, 2 = disable, 3 = 48k only, 4 = no VRA, 5 = enable any sample
rate) (int)
parm: enable:bool
module_sig: <snip a very long module sig line>

Maybe that "pci=routeirq" suggestion above will help?

Since it was a new install, I have to ask: did you have to dink with the
hardware at all. Maybe open the case or move it? If so, maybe a cable
got knocked loose or the speaker wires disconnected?

Other than that, lets hope someone else knows something.

HTH
--
Bill

Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 AM
hce

Thanks both Alex and Willam.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:54 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 10:22 +1000, hce wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:36 PM, William L. Maltby
>> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... Since I know very little about this stuff, I thought I would
> look (and maybe learn something too). I have a different chip set, but
> some things should be in common. My hope is something visual will jump
> out at you or someone who is knowledgeable will spot something.
>
> # lspci -v # Snipped non-related stuff out
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
> Subsystem: EPoX Computer Co., Ltd. Unknown device 300c
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
> I/O ports at eb00 [size=256]
> Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>
> Note that my capabilities are listed while yours are "access denied".
> Were you root when you ran lspci? I don't know if that is significant.

>From root, I got following Capabilities, I guess it is ok.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

> [...]
> parm: id:ID string for VIA 82xx bridge. (charp)
> parm: mpu_port:MPU-401 port. (VT82C686x only) (long)
> parm: joystick:Enable joystick. (VT82C686x only) (bool)
> parm: ac97_clock:AC'97 codec clock (default 48000Hz). (int)
> parm: ac97_quirk:AC'97 workaround for strange hardware.
> (charp)
> parm: dxs_support:Support for DXS channels (0 = auto, 1 =
> enable, 2 = disable, 3 = 48k only, 4 = no VRA, 5 = enable any sample
> rate) (int)
> parm: enable:bool
> module_sig: <snip a very long module sig line>
>
> Maybe that "pci=routeirq" suggestion above will help?
>
> Since it was a new install, I have to ask: did you have to dink with the
> hardware at all. Maybe open the case or move it? If so, maybe a cable
> got knocked loose or the speaker wires disconnected?
>
> Other than that, lets hope someone else knows something.

$ /sbin/modinfo snd-hda-intel
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
license: GPL
srcversion: 0084BB394FD45DA3C4033DC
alias: pci:v000010DEd0000055Dsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd0000055Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd0000044Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd0000044Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd000003F0sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd000003E4sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd00000371sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010DEd0000026Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000010B9d00005461sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001039d00007502sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001106d00003288sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA48sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA40sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA38sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA30sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA28sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA20sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA18sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA10sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA08sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000AA00sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000960Fsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d00007919sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000793Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d00004383sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001002d0000437Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d00003A6Esv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d00003A3Esv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d0000293Fsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d0000293Esv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d0000284Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d0000269Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d000027D8sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d00002668sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends: snd-pcm,snd-page-alloc,snd,snd-hda-codec
vermagic: 2.6.18-92.el5 SMP mod_unload 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.1
parm: index:Index value for Intel HD audio interface. (int)
parm: id:ID string for Intel HD audio interface. (charp)
parm: model:Use the given board model. (charp)
parm: position_fix:Fix DMA pointer (0 = auto, 1 = none, 2 =
POSBUF, 3 = FIFO size). (int)
parm: probe_mask:Bitmask to probe codecs (default = -1). (int)
parm: single_cmd:Use single command to communicate with
codecs (for debugging only). (bool)
parm: enable_msi:Enable Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) (int)
parm: enable:bool
module_sig:
883f350484fb1ad1f27370acbc602e1129ac809e2c727a047f 8bf9bc9f3dcc3fcfdb738316c3f09f4bd96a5da74ad996b582 b45a1b2aee454aaabb

Seems it is OK.

I've also looked at links from Alex message, but not sure if it was
compatibale to the CentOS. How can I check alsa was installed properly
or not in my CentOS 5.2?

Thank you both Bill and Alex.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 14:44 +1000, hce wrote:
> [...]

> parm: index:Index value for Intel HD audio interface. (int)
> parm: id:ID string for Intel HD audio interface. (charp)
> parm: model:Use the given board model. (charp)
> parm: position_fix:Fix DMA pointer (0 = auto, 1 = none, 2 =
> POSBUF, 3 = FIFO size). (int)
> parm: probe_mask:Bitmask to probe codecs (default = -1). (int)
> parm: single_cmd:Use single command to communicate with
> codecs (for debugging only). (bool)
> parm: enable_msi:Enable Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) (int)
> parm: enable:bool
> module_sig:
> 883f350484fb1ad1f27370acbc602e1129ac809e2c727a047f 8bf9bc9f3dcc3fcfdb738316c3f09f4bd96a5da74ad996b582 b45a1b2aee454aaabb
>
> Seems it is OK.
>
> I've also looked at links from Alex message, but not sure if it was
> compatibale to the CentOS. How can I check alsa was installed properly

$ rpm -qa|grep -i alsa
alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5.i386
alsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.i386

$ rpm -v --verify alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.rc4.el5.i386
alsa-utils-1.0.14-3.rc4.el5.i386

Without the "-v", an "echo $?" should return 0. Otherwise, 2.

> Thank you both Bill and Alex.

NP.

I'm thinking now, we have garnered enough new information that an
assault on google might yield results. I suggest you give it a try.

I decided to investigate proc. I don't know if that might be
fruitful, ... BRB

Well, all directories or empty files all the way down the tree. No joy
in mudville.

<snip>

Last idea, if no one else from here chimes in. Do a google (again) and
try the alsa or other Linux lists.

--
Bill