Old 06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default INIT 5 and system is gone

I had been running a system on Centos 5.1 at INIT 3. I did the upgrade
to Centos 5.2 with the aid of the powernowk8 patch.

Previously I would VNC into the unit when I needed to do admin stuff
with a GUI. Well I noticed that I was NOT getting GNOME via VNC since
the upgrade (worked before just fine with 5.1). So I tried an INIT 5
from the command line (always worked before), but the system seemed to
hang. Video was off.

I rebooted, went to INITTAB and changed init to 5 and rebooted.
Probably a tragic mistake.

Now on boot, right after UDEV gets an OK, the screen goes blank and the
drive stops turning.

I tried booting with the 5.1 kernel, and same behaviour with the system
blanking out and all load activity stopping after UDEV loads.

So I am quite stuck at this point.

Is there an option that I can edit into the kernel command at boot time
to init in 3? And then what do I try?

If I have to reload Centos, I have to pull the drive, put it into
another system, install there, etc. Not my idea of a fun day....

Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Paul Schoonderwoerd

On Monday 30 June 2008 16:33:32 Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Is there an option that I can edit into the kernel command at boot time
> to init in 3? And then what do I try?
>
> If I have to reload Centos, I have to pull the drive, put it into
> another system, install there, etc. Not my idea of a fun day....

In the grub system menu you can type e for edit and append a 3 on the line
that starts with 'kernel'. Then type b to boot this entry and it should boot
in runlevel 3. Then change back the inittab and try startx to start Xwindows.
If that fails look in the X logfile for the reason.

Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source oplossingen & Netwerk beveiliging
http://www.Pollux-IT.nl
0294-283832

Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Michel van Deventer

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:33 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I had been running a system on Centos 5.1 at INIT 3. I did the upgrade
> to Centos 5.2 with the aid of the powernowk8 patch.
>
> Previously I would VNC into the unit when I needed to do admin stuff
> with a GUI. Well I noticed that I was NOT getting GNOME via VNC since
> the upgrade (worked before just fine with 5.1). So I tried an INIT 5
> from the command line (always worked before), but the system seemed to
> hang. Video was off.
>
> I rebooted, went to INITTAB and changed init to 5 and rebooted.
> Probably a tragic mistake.
>
> Now on boot, right after UDEV gets an OK, the screen goes blank and the
> drive stops turning.
>
> I tried booting with the 5.1 kernel, and same behaviour with the system
> blanking out and all load activity stopping after UDEV loads.
>
> So I am quite stuck at this point.
>
> Is there an option that I can edit into the kernel command at boot time
> to init in 3? And then what do I try?
Reboot your system, when you see the grub menu, press a key. Select the
kernel you wish to boot and press 'e', select the kernel line, press 'e'
again and add '3' at the end of the line (or '1' if you wish to boot in
single user mode). Then press <enter> and 'b' to boot. Your system
should now boot up in level 3. You can log in as root at the login
prompt. If that even doesn't work, the reboot in single user mode.

For the rest, we first need
logfiles, /var/log/messages /var/log/boot.log and
maybe /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Regards,

Michel

Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Michel van Deventer wrote:

[...]

Thanks that got me back in.

For the rest, we first need
logfiles, /var/log/messages /var/log/boot.log

Nothing. boot.log is completely empty no-one home.

For messages, the boot with init 5 had NO entries. As if the crash
occured before the first entry would be written. And running startx did
not result in anything in messages either.

and
maybe /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Now here we might have something. There is only one likely entry in
Xorg.0.log from friday, it seems. It looks like from the time I tried
init 5 from the command line:

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5PAE i686 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux decTOP1.htt-consult.com
2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53 #1 SMP Thu Jun 26 12:08:44 EDT 2008 i586

Build Date: 21 June 2008
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.1.1-48.41.el5_2.1
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jun 27 14:47:28 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "single head configuration"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) | |-->Device "Videocard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default pointer>"
(==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
Using the default mouse configuration.
(==) No FontPath specified. Using compiled-in default.
(==) FontPath set to:
unix/:7100,
built-ins
(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(II) No APM support in BIOS or kernel
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
X.Org Video Driver: 1.0
X.Org XInput driver : 0.6
X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/libbitmap.so

Perhaps I should try this again and see if I get another update in this
log file....

Anyway, something is really wrong here! Help, please?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Michel van Deventer wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:33 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I had been running a system on Centos 5.1 at INIT 3. I did the upgrade
to Centos 5.2 with the aid of the powernowk8 patch.

Previously I would VNC into the unit when I needed to do admin stuff
with a GUI. Well I noticed that I was NOT getting GNOME via VNC since
the upgrade (worked before just fine with 5.1). So I tried an INIT 5
from the command line (always worked before), but the system seemed to
hang. Video was off.

I rebooted, went to INITTAB and changed init to 5 and rebooted.
Probably a tragic mistake.

Now on boot, right after UDEV gets an OK, the screen goes blank and the
drive stops turning.

For the rest, we first need
logfiles, /var/log/messages /var/log/boot.log and
maybe /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I just tried:

system-config-display from the command line.

With 5.1 this would start X so that I could set the proper display,
then exit X when I exited the display config. I had to use this, as
with 5.1 I had to do the install with the drive in another box. So I
KNOW this worked in 5.1

Now I just hang. And NOTHING is written to any log file.

Any advice?

Oh, and here is another 'hint'. Here is the vnc log:

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 70101000, The X.Org Foundation

Fri Jun 27 14:45:04 2008
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5907
vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5807
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/OTF, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!

SESSION_MANAGER=local/decTOP1.htt-consult.com:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4657
Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.

** (eggcups:4777): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030

** (eggcups:4777): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/redhat-email.desktop
for panel launcher: No such file or directory
Unable to open desktop file
/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop for panel
launcher: No such file or directory
Unable to open desktop file
/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop for panel
launcher: No such file or directory
Unable to open desktop file
/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop for panel
launcher: No such file or directory

Introspect error: Activation of com.redhat.setroubleshoot timed out
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":2.0"
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':2.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.

(gnome-panel:4745): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to re-activate
daemon: Connection was disconnected before a reply was received

could not attach to desktop process
The application 'nm-applet' lost its connection to the display :2.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'pam-panel-icon' lost its connection to the display :2.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'gnome-panel' lost its connection to the display :2.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :2.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

(gnome-panel:4745): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_run_dispose:
assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-panel:4745): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_run_dispose:
assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-panel:4745): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_run_dispose:
assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

X connection to :2.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

(pam-panel-icon:5102): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Window manager error: Unable to open X display :2.0

(eggcups:5098): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :2.0
[root@decTOP1 .vnc]#

Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
"John"

> [...]

(==) No FontPath specified. Using compiled-in default.
(==) FontPath set to:
unix/:7100,
built-ins
(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(II) No APM support in BIOS or kernel
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
X.Org Video Driver: 1.0
X.Org XInput driver : 0.6
X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/libbitmap.so

Perhaps I should try this again and see if I get another update in this
log file....

Anyway, something is really wrong here! Help, please?
Try changing your Loging Level to "Debug" or use the appropriate number 1-4
for it. Use your backup Xconfig file if you got one. You do have it backed
up correct?

JohnStanley

Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
"nate"

John wrote:

> Anyway, something is really wrong here! Help, please?
> Try changing your Loging Level to "Debug" or use the appropriate number 1-4
> for it. Use your backup Xconfig file if you got one. You do have it backed
> up correct?

I don't recall seeing if the OP mentioned if the system had to be
power cycled or not in order to reboot it. Another thing to try is
to configure the system to use a serial console, as loading X may
be causing a kernel panic. With the serial console you'll be able to
pick up the messages produced on the console pretty easily.

nate

Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Robert Moskowitz

nate wrote:

John wrote:

Anyway, something is really wrong here! Help, please?
Try changing your Loging Level to "Debug" or use the appropriate number 1-4
for it. Use your backup Xconfig file if you got one. You do have it backed
up correct?

backup? What is that? I have yet to get this system all configured to
back it up....

And where do I set the logging level?

I don't recall seeing if the OP mentioned if the system had to be
power cycled or not in order to reboot it.
Yep. Unplug it, plug it back in, press the on button (when like this the
off button does nothing).

Another thing to try is
to configure the system to use a serial console, as loading X may
be causing a kernel panic. With the serial console you'll be able to
pick up the messages produced on the console pretty easily.

No serial port. No parallel port. Just VGA, 4 USBs, and Audio. And no
access to setting the BIOS.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

You do realize that it's almost impossible to recognize what it is that
you answered?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
"nate"

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> No serial port. No parallel port. Just VGA, 4 USBs, and Audio. And no
> access to setting the BIOS.

If it's CentOS 4.x you could setup a netdump server so if there is
a kernel panic it writes it to the server.

If it's CentOS 5.x netdump was replaced with diskdump as far as I can
tell, you can see an overview here:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/08/15/a-quick-overview-of-linux-kernel-crash-dump-analysis/

Assuming it is causing a kernel panic, it could just be faulty hardware
freezing up(bad ram etc).

In my experience this is the only way to get info out of a system that
freezes in this fashion, log events that point to the cause are extremely
rare.

nate