Old 06-30-2008, 01:30 PM
fred smith

Default Pidgin problem on 5.2

Having a problem with Pidgin that may have come after the 5.2 upgrade.
I don't use pidgin daily, but the last time I used it (a week or two ago)
it was fine. Now, when clicking the icon nothing visible happens. When I
open an xterm and run it from there I get this:

$ pidgin
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
(org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

and the terminal does not return to a prompt. there is no visible window
for Pidgin, but parts of it may be running, as I heard the sound that (I
think) means "buddy comes online".

running "ps ax | grep -y pidgin" returns one process, so it's not entirely
kaput.

Anyone else seem this, or anyone have suggestions?

Oh, also, I've recently enabled "desktop effects". I think I'll disable that
and see if it helps.

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:30:42AM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> Having a problem with Pidgin that may have come after the 5.2 upgrade.
> I don't use pidgin daily, but the last time I used it (a week or two ago)
> it was fine. Now, when clicking the icon nothing visible happens. When I
> open an xterm and run it from there I get this:
>
> $ pidgin
> libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
> (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
>
> and the terminal does not return to a prompt. there is no visible window
> for Pidgin, but parts of it may be running, as I heard the sound that (I
> think) means "buddy comes online".
>
> running "ps ax | grep -y pidgin" returns one process, so it's not entirely
> kaput.
>
> Anyone else seem this, or anyone have suggestions?
>
> Oh, also, I've recently enabled "desktop effects". I think I'll disable that
> and see if it helps.

No, turning desktop effects back off makes no difference. same result
as described above.

Suggestions welcome.
The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 09:33 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> Suggestions welcome.

Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already have
one.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:16 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06:28AM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 09:33 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > Suggestions welcome.
>
> Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already have
> one.

OK, done that. Now what?

Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be seeing?

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Rodney Myers

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06:28AM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already
have

one.

OK, done that. Now what?

Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be
seeing?

Can you attempt to start it from the shell, and let us know what
happens?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:28:39AM -0700, Rodney Myers wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:16 AM, fred smith wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06:28AM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
> >wrote:
> >>
> >>Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already
> >>have
> >>one.
> >
> >OK, done that. Now what?
> >
> >Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be
> >seeing?
>
> Can you attempt to start it from the shell, and let us know what
> happens?

My original posting contained that:

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 14:50 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:28:39AM -0700, Rodney Myers wrote:
> > On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:16 AM, fred smith wrote:

> > Can you attempt to start it from the shell, and let us know what
> > happens?
>
> My original posting contained that:
>
> $ pidgin
> libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
> (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any service files

I've not looked. But if you have run makewhatis, then apropos or "man -k
dbus" lists some man pages. Maybe something is buried in there. I have
no guess as to which, if any, of the below are useful.

$ man -k dbus
dbus (rpm) - D-BUS message bus
dbus-cleanup-sockets (1) - clean up leftover sockets in a directory
dbus-daemon (1) - Message bus daemon
dbus-glib (rpm) - GLib bindings for D-Bus
dbus-launch (1) - Utility to start a message bus from a shell
script
dbus-monitor (1) - debug probe to print message bus messages
dbus-python (rpm) - D-Bus Python Bindings
dbus-send (1) - Send a message to a message bus
dbus-uuidgen (1) - Utility to generate UUIDs
dbus-x11 (rpm) - X11-requiring add-ons for D-BUS

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 12:16 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06:28AM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 09:33 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already have
> > one.
>
> OK, done that. Now what?
>
> Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be seeing?

A new icon should appear in the Notification Area when you start pidgin.
Clicking on it will show the Buddy List.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 03:31:39PM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 12:16 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Add a Notification Area to your panel, or look there if you already have
> > > one.
> >
> > OK, done that. Now what?
> >
> > Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be seeing?
>
> A new icon should appear in the Notification Area when you start pidgin.
> Clicking on it will show the Buddy List.

Ah. there's already one in the top panel. So I see a strange little icon
there that says it's for pidgin, so when I click that the buddy list
opens up. which is fine, thanks for pointing me to it. But I'm curios
how it got into that state where it doesn't open. I'm sure I've not done
anything to change it.

Thanks again!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 16:01 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 03:31:39PM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> > > OK, done that. Now what?
> > >
> > > Nothing happens there when I try to start pidgin. What should I be seeing?
> >
> > A new icon should appear in the Notification Area when you start pidgin.
> > Clicking on it will show the Buddy List.
>
> Ah. there's already one in the top panel. So I see a strange little icon
> there that says it's for pidgin, so when I click that the buddy list
> opens up. which is fine, thanks for pointing me to it. But I'm curios
> how it got into that state where it doesn't open. I'm sure I've not done
> anything to change it.
----
I believe that is the intended behavior - that you can have pidgin
running and the only evidence is the 'status tray' when pidgin is
running in a minimal state and from which you can open various windows
back up.

Craig