Old 06-30-2008, 09:21 AM
"John"

Default Rebuild of kernel 2.6.9-67.0.20.EL failure

Hello list.

I'm trying to rebuild the 2.6.9.67.0.20.EL kernel, but it fails even without
modifications.
How did I try it?
Created a (non-root) build environment (not a mock )
Installed the kernel.scr.rpm and did a
rpmbuild -ba --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec 2> prep-err.log | tee
prep-out.log
The build failed at the end:

Processing files: kernel-xenU-devel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL
Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files
/home/john/rpmbuild/tmp/kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL-root

RPM build errors:

In my setup rebuilding the 2.6.9-67.0.15.EL kernel went ok

Does anybody knows what I do miss or what is going wrong?

For the curios:
Why to recompile the kernel?
I want to rebuild the kernel because I created a patch to decrease the
kernel timer frequency from 1000 to 100 HZ. The CentOS4.6 kernel doesn't
have the divider option available in CentOS5.2 This prevent timing problems
and high CPU load in VMware ESX.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Johnny Hughes

John wrote:

[...]

OK .. it obviously does rebuild, not sure why it is not building for you.

However, you don't need to rebuild this yourself as we are building a
kernel-vm that has this as its only change (change the clock from 1000Hz
to 100Hz):

http://people.centos.org/tru/kernel-vm/4/RPMS/i386/

Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
"John"

John wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I'm trying to rebuild the 2.6.9.67.0.20.EL kernel, but it fails even
> without
> modifications.

cut.cut

For the curios:
> Why to recompile the kernel?
> I want to rebuild the kernel because I created a patch to decrease the
> kernel timer frequency from 1000 to 100 HZ. The CentOS4.6 kernel doesn't
> have the divider option available in CentOS5.2 This prevent timing
> problems
> and high CPU load in VMware ESX.

OK .. it obviously does rebuild, not sure why it is not building for you.

However, you don't need to rebuild this yourself as we are building a
kernel-vm that has this as its only change (change the clock from 1000Hz
to 100Hz):

http://people.centos.org/tru/kernel-vm/4/RPMS/i386/

Ok,
When will these RPMS be available in the (plus?) repo?

Tip for the ESX users:
When using a kernel with a modified name, the VMware-config-tools.pl script
"thinks" there is no fitting binary module present, and want to compile a
module for the running kernel. But after compilation the script runs dead,
because the pcnet32.ko module won't unload.... The script then waits
forever....
When running the VMware-config-tools.pl with the -t option, it tries every
module, and will come to the conclusion that the binary available module
fits nicely... At that point there are also no unload problems...

John

Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Paul Heinlein