Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Frank BŁttner

Default Moving logical volumes

John R Pierce schrieb:
assuming this logical volume containss extfs, dump(8) it on one,
restore(8) it on the other. this can be combined with a pipe, like....
# dump 0 -f - /dev/volgroup/logvol | (cd /dest; restore -rf - )

(this assumes the new logical volume has been created, has a virgin
filesystem fresh from mkfs, and is mounted)

This will be possible.
Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 10:33 +0200, Frank BŁttner wrote:
> John R Pierce schrieb:
> > assuming this logical volume containss extfs, dump(8) it on one,
> > restore(8) it on the other. this can be combined with a pipe, like....
> > # dump 0 -f - /dev/volgroup/logvol | (cd /dest; restore -rf - )
> >
> > (this assumes the new logical volume has been created, has a virgin
> > filesystem fresh from mkfs, and is mounted)
>
> This will be possible.
> Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?

I think there is not enough information. Your first post seemed to
indicate a data move. Now it seem to indicate ... merge of 2? Rename of
one? Reassignment of PV to a new group?

I usuallt don't reply when a query shows lack of forethought as to needs
of folks to be able to help. But, it's Sunday.

--
Bill

Old 06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
John R Pierce

Frank BŁttner wrote:

John R Pierce schrieb:
assuming this logical volume containss extfs, dump(8) it on one,
restore(8) it on the other. this can be combined with a pipe,
like.... # dump 0 -f - /dev/volgroup/logvol | (cd /dest; restore -rf - )

(this assumes the new logical volume has been created, has a virgin
filesystem fresh from mkfs, and is mounted)

This will be possible.
Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?

a different volgroup implies different physical drives... how would
you expect to move a logical volume from one volgroup to another without
moving the data contained in said logvol?!?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 09:13 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> Frank BŁttner wrote:
> > John R Pierce schrieb:
> >> assuming this logical volume containss extfs, dump(8) it on one,
> >> restore(8) it on the other. this can be combined with a pipe,
> >> like.... # dump 0 -f - /dev/volgroup/logvol | (cd /dest; restore -rf - )
> >>
> >> (this assumes the new logical volume has been created, has a virgin
> >> filesystem fresh from mkfs, and is mounted)
> >
> > This will be possible.
> > Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?
>
> a different volgroup implies different physical drives... how would
> you expect to move a logical volume from one volgroup to another without
> moving the data contained in said logvol?!?

Since the OP still hasn't clarified his objective, nor provided more
detail about original config, I am free to imagine the most permissive
situation.

Answering your Q, "man vgmerge".

Will it do what he wants? No way to tell. But if he has only one lv in
the source vg, ...

--
Bill

Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 09:13 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> Frank BŁttner wrote:
> > Exist there no way to do this without moving the data?
>
> a different volgroup implies different physical drives...

Not necessarily true.

But to answer the original question, no, LVM was not designed to swap
LVs between VGs.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Frank BŁttner

William L. Maltby schrieb:

Since the OP still hasn't clarified his objective, nor provided more
detail about original config, I am free to imagine the most permissive
situation.

Answering your Q, "man vgmerge".

Will it do what he wants? No way to tell. But if he has only one lv in
the source vg, ...

<snip>

Yes vgmerge, can do the job.
Thanks.

Frank

Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 08:16 +0200, Frank BŁttner wrote:
> William L. Maltby schrieb:
> ><snip>

> Yes vgmerge, can do the job.
> Thanks.

NP. Just as an FYI, at command line, do lvm. Then type help. That gives
a nice little "index" to available commands. Then, at command line, a
"man <an LVM cmd>" gives more detail.

As a side note, if one did need to physically copy the data, pvmove
might be useful. It has checkpoint restart, so providing a relatively
secure way of doing that job. Of course, backups are always advisable
because all hardware, in my experience, has an undocumented "FLOP" (Fail
at Least Opportune Point) feature. =:-O

--
Bill