Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Hi all

I want to look at setting up a simple / cheap SAN / NAS server using
normal PIV motherboard, 2GB (or even more) RAM, Core 2 Duo CPU (probably
a Intel 6700 / 6750 / 6800) & some SATA HDD's (4 or 6x 320GB - 750GB).
My budget is limited, so I can't afford a pre-built NAS device.

Can this be done with CentOS? I've been looking FreeNAS (which is built
on FreeBSD), and it look like a great project, but since the hardware
support in FreeBSD is limit, I'd rather use Linux for it.

Has anyone done this? If so, please share a bit in your experiences

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
John R Pierce

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I want to look at setting up a simple / cheap SAN / NAS server using
normal PIV motherboard, 2GB (or even more) RAM, Core 2 Duo CPU
(probably a Intel 6700 / 6750 / 6800) & some SATA HDD's (4 or 6x 320GB
- 750GB). My budget is limited, so I can't afford a pre-built NAS device.

Can this be done with CentOS? I've been looking FreeNAS (which is
built on FreeBSD), and it look like a great project, but since the
hardware support in FreeBSD is limit, I'd rather use Linux for it.

Has anyone done this? If so, please share a bit in your experiences

you might look at openfiler, too. same idea as opennas, only its linux
based. web management interface, supports NFS and CIFS/SMB sharing, etc
etc.

IMHO, a storage server really /should/ have ECC memory to minimize the
potential for data corruption by random memory errors. this, however,
requires a server chipset, as 99% of desktop stuff doesn't support ECC
at all.

you are, btw, way overspecing the cpu. a storage server would be fine
with a much slower processor than any of those.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Rainer Duffner

I want to look at setting up a simple / cheap SAN / NAS server
using normal PIV motherboard, 2GB (or even more) RAM, Core 2 Duo
CPU (probably a Intel 6700 / 6750 / 6800) & some SATA HDD's (4 or
6x 320GB - 750GB). My budget is limited, so I can't afford a pre-
built NAS device.

Can this be done with CentOS? I've been looking FreeNAS (which is
built on FreeBSD), and it look like a great project, but since the
hardware support in FreeBSD is limit, I'd rather use Linux for it.

What hardware do you own that is not supported?

Has anyone done this? If so, please share a bit in your experiences

While it can certainly be done with CentOS, I'd take a look at
Solaris/OpenSolaris for that purpose.

ZFS really beats anything else out there.
But you need a lot of RAM. 2 GB is good, 4 GB would be better ;-)
Actually, the calculation is that it needs a GB of RAM for every TB
of managed data.
So, if RAM is scarce and the feature of ZFS are not needed (for
whatever reason), CentOS may be still be a good option.

cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Shade-GE

Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Rudi Ahlers

John R Pierce wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

What kind of processing does the NAS server really do? I mean, it won't
do actual calculations / DB access / etc, those will all be done by the
host OS / server, right?

For the price difference, the bigger CPU is a better investment, which
could also be reused for something else (xen server?) if this doesn't
work out. Unfortunately, the only ECC capable motherboards I can get my
hands on will be XEON, which is much more expensive than a normal
desktop type motherboard. And the CPU's will cost more.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Rainer Duffner wrote:

I want to look at setting up a simple / cheap SAN / NAS server using
normal PIV motherboard, 2GB (or even more) RAM, Core 2 Duo CPU
(probably a Intel 6700 / 6750 / 6800) & some SATA HDD's (4 or 6x
320GB - 750GB). My budget is limited, so I can't afford a pre-built
NAS device.

Can this be done with CentOS? I've been looking FreeNAS (which is
built on FreeBSD), and it look like a great project, but since the
hardware support in FreeBSD is limit, I'd rather use Linux for it.

What hardware do you own that is not supported?
I haven's used FBSD (or any other BSD) since 4.9, and I know what
hassles I had back then with some NIC's. But, it's worth a try. This is
a Linux list, so I didn't think a BSD suggestion would come from it

Has anyone done this? If so, please share a bit in your experiences

While it can certainly be done with CentOS, I'd take a look at
Solaris/OpenSolaris for that purpose.

ZFS really beats anything else out there.
But you need a lot of RAM. 2 GB is good, 4 GB would be better ;-)
Actually, the calculation is that it needs a GB of RAM for every TB of
managed data.
So, if RAM is scarce and the feature of ZFS are not needed (for
whatever reason), CentOS may be still be a good option.

cheers,
Rainer
I don't know Solaris. At all. I've never seen it (i.e. file & directory
structure, security, kernel, etc). Apart from ZFS, what else would I
gain? Can ZFS work on Linux? If not, I'm sure I could give Solaris a shot.

1GB per TB? mm, ok. This is my first attempt to this, so there's still a
lot to learn. With 6 SATA slots available (2U case), I would probably
only have about 3 - 4TB available (depending on whether I got for RAID 6
or 10) - so I would really only need 4GB RAM, but I'm sure if I spend a
bit more cash on the mobo, I could get one that supports 8TB.

I currently have a PC, with 4GB DDRII 667 RAM, i6750 CPU & some 160GB
HDD's, but want to replace the HDD's at some stage when I have more cash.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I want to look at setting up a simple / cheap SAN / NAS server using
normal PIV motherboard, 2GB (or even more) RAM, Core 2 Duo CPU (probably
a Intel 6700 / 6750 / 6800) & some SATA HDD's (4 or 6x 320GB - 750GB).
My budget is limited, so I can't afford a pre-built NAS device.

Can this be done with CentOS? I've been looking FreeNAS (which is built
on FreeBSD), and it look like a great project, but since the hardware
support in FreeBSD is limit, I'd rather use Linux for it.

You can use a stock Centos - just set up Samba if you are serving
windows clients and NFS for Linux/Mac clients. The only thing even
slightly difficult is keeping authentication and user mapping
coordinated between the windows/linux sides. You can also run whatever
else you might want (web/ftp/email/streaming media servers, etc.) or
even run it as a workstation too. If you are serving mostly windows
clients and don't need NFS, you might look at SME server
(http://www.contribs.org) as something easier to set up.

Has anyone done this? If so, please share a bit in your experiences

Are you pricing the low end NAS boxes (like Buffalo
Linkstation/Terastation, etc.)? It might be hard to beat that if all
you want is a file server. Most run Linux of some sort on ARM or PPC
processors and may need to be hacked to add NFS or support >2gig files.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Steve Thompson

A cheap server: there are many different values of cheap; it all depends
on what you need it for. For my home network, I just picked up a brand new
Dell Poweredge PE2900 server (from Dell) with two quad-core 2.33 GHz
processors, 24 GB memory and two 250 GB SATA disks for $2800. Price was
too good to pass up for a system in this class. I am adding another four
Seagate NS 750 GB SATA disks with caddies for about $550. Runs Centos 5.2
and a bunch (>20) of Xen DomU's.

Steve

Old 06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Steve Tindall

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 19:16 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the only ECC capable motherboards I can get my
> hands on will be XEON, which is much more expensive than a normal
> desktop type motherboard. And the CPU's will cost more.

Consider using an Asus socket AM2 motherboard, as they support ECC.

A popular choice is the Asus M2N-E with 6 SATA connectors (not to be
confused with the M2N-E SLI), but any of the nforce 500-series Asus
motherboard should work fine with CentOS.

Modest AMD socket AM2 45watt dual cores are relatively cheap.

Steve

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

How do you reckon this? Ie, what's the basic assumption(s) for the statement?
Parity calculations for stripes or what? I don't follow.

I can't say I've ever heard any such like, so please do enlighten me!