Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Default settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Of
>Steve Thompson
>Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:39 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?
>

>A cheap server: there are many different values of cheap; it all depends
>on what you need it for.

Yupp, break down the requirements into the following three options:

* Good
* Fast
* Cheap

Pick any *two*. You can never ever have all three. It's a natural law or
something. 8-)

Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Rudi Ahlers

A cheap server: there are many different values of cheap; it all depends
on what you need it for.

Yupp, break down the requirements into the following three options:

* Good
* Fast
* Cheap

Pick any *two*. You can never ever have all three. It's a natural law or
something. 8-)

Sure, SATA isn't as fast as SCSI, so I sacrifice that, but SCSI won't
give me the same space (3TB) as SATA either. So, a gigabyte mobo + 6x
1TB SATA HDD's + 4GB RAM + 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo isn't too bad?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com