-   -   New yum search behavior is awful/useless (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/115208-new-yum-search-behavior-awful-useless.html)

Kai Schaetzl 06-28-2008 05:48 PM

New yum search behavior is awful/useless

Anyone already tried yum search after the 5.2 upgrade?

yum search perl-MIME-tools
<skipped some stuff>
perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
entities
perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
entities
perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
entities

That *used* to tell if it's installed (and from where) and from which
repositories which version is available. This information is all gone now.
Also gone is the description. I can get the description from info and the
installed status from list, but the repo information is completely gone
now it seems. In this state yum search is pretty useless.
Am I missing something? man yum and yum.conf don't list any options to get
a more useful behavior.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

AnneWilson 06-28-2008 06:02 PM

On Saturday 28 June 2008 18:48:16 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anyone already tried yum search after the 5.2 upgrade?
>
> yum search perl-MIME-tools
> <skipped some stuff>
> perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
> entities
> perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
> entities
> perl-MIME-tools.noarch : Perl modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME
> entities
>
> That *used* to tell if it's installed (and from where) and from which
> repositories which version is available. This information is all gone now.
> Also gone is the description. I can get the description from info and the
> installed status from list, but the repo information is completely gone
> now it seems. In this state yum search is pretty useless.
> Am I missing something? man yum and yum.conf don't list any options to get
> a more useful behavior.
>
> Kai

Just type 'yum' without parameters, to get a list of possibilities. I
think 'yum list' may be what you are looking for. (I don't have Fedora or
CentOS on this laptop so I can't check.)

Anne

Kai Schaetzl 06-28-2008 07:31 PM

AnneWilson wrote on Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:02:02 +0100:

> think 'yum list' may be what you are looking for.

It's close, but lacks functionality that search had.
You have to enable showdupesfromrepos=1 and even then you get not all
info:

yum list perl-MIME-tools

Installed Packages
perl-MIME-tools.noarch 5.420-2.el5.rf installed
Available Packages
perl-MIME-tools.noarch 5.420-1.el5.rf rpmforge

You have to *assume* that the -2 package came from rpmforge (in the case
of rpmforge it's also marked by "rf", but that's not necessarily the case
with other repo's), the old search listing was like this:

perl-MIME-tools.noarch 5.420-1.el5.rf rpmforge
perl-MIME-tools.noarch 5.420-2.el5.rf rpmforge

"Brian" 06-28-2008 07:48 PM

On Sat, June 28, 2008 2:02 pm, AnneWilson wrote:
> Just type 'yum' without parameters, to get a list of possibilities. I
> think 'yum list' may be what you are looking for. (I don't have Fedora or
> CentOS on this laptop so I can't check.)
>
> Anne

Or

yum provides <package name or string>

HTH