Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Craig White

Default MPEG video under Fedora 9

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 17:48 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?
>
> On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
> that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
> GXine Video Player
> Gnome MPlayer
> MPlayer
> Movie Player
> Kaffeine
>
> As a sample .mpg file I've taken
> /usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .
>
> [Maybe that is a bad example;
> if so could some guru suggest a better one?
> One incidental difficulty in solving multimedia problems
> under Fedora is that supposed solutions rarely give
> a sample file on which the solution can be tested.
> Perhaps a selection of multimedia files for testing would be useful.
> Is there such a thing anywhere?]
>
> I'm not clear also if Firefox has its own, different,
> set of File Associations?
> Or will it read those set by Fedora/KDE?
>
> I understand that the Fedora developers have a religious objection
> to telling us how to play ungodly video files,
> or even telling us where we can get this information.
>
> But it would be nice if a standard godless informant
> could be agreed on ...
----
I suspect that this would relevant to the fedora-list but clearly is not
relevant on the CentOS mailing list...ask on the right list and I will
try to help (though it's been discussed several times on the Fedora
list, as recently as two or three days ago).

Craig

Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 18:23 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?
>
> On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
> that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
> GXine Video Player
> Gnome MPlayer
> MPlayer
> Movie Player
> Kaffeine
>
> As a sample .mpg file I've taken
> /usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .
>
> [Maybe that is a bad example;
> if so could some guru suggest a better one?
> One incidental difficulty in solving multimedia problems
> under Fedora is that supposed solutions rarely give
> a sample file on which the solution can be tested.
> Perhaps a selection of multimedia files for testing would be useful.
> Is there such a thing anywhere?]
>
> I'm not clear also if Firefox has its own, different,
> set of File Associations?
> Or will it read those set by Fedora/KDE?
>
> I understand that the Fedora developers have a religious objection
> to telling us how to play ungodly video files,
> or even telling us where we can get this information.
>
> But it would be nice if a standard godless informant
> could be agreed on ...
----
do you have any third party repositories installed? Livna? Other?

follow this thread from a few days ago...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02561.html

especially Rahul's answer...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02571.html

but you probably will need some 3rd party codecs installed to play much
of the content that is on the Internet...which is why I asked about 3rd
party repositories.

Craig

Old 06-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?

Apologies ... wrong newsgroup.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 03:10 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >> Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
> >> what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?
> >>
> >> On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
> >> that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
> >> GXine Video Player
> >> Gnome MPlayer
> >> MPlayer
> >> Movie Player
> >> Kaffeine
> >>
> >> As a sample .mpg file I've taken
> >> /usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .
> > ----
> > do you have any third party repositories installed? Livna? Other?
>
> Yes. I have livna.repo enabled -
> but no others, except fedora-update .
>
> > follow this thread from a few days ago...
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02561.html
> >
> > especially Rahul's answer...
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-June/msg02571.html
>
> I read this, or rather the article
> <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Multimedia.html>
> which it pointed to, but did not find it much help.
>
> It seemed to be all about totem, which appears to be the application
> called "Movie Player" in the f=>Applications=>Multimedia menu .
>
> [Why it doesn't say that Movie Player means totem
> I can't imagine - to me it just seems part
> of the utter chaos that constitutes Fedora Multimedia.]
>
> In any case, I installed totem-xine as suggested
> and gave the command "totem-backend -b xine".
> Then I ran Movie Player and open the file I mentioned
> </usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg>,
> but all I saw was a meaningless mess of lines.
>
> So I would ask again - has anyone successfully played an MPEG video
> under Fedora-9?
> If so, could you tell me what application you used,
> and (if possible) any special codecs you installed.
----
yum install
mplayer
mplayer-gui
xvidcore
xine
mjpegtools-libs
libmms
xine-lib-extras-nonfree
gnome-mplayer
gxine-mozplugin
gxine

start there

Craig

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Timothy Murphy

Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 03:10 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> So I would ask again - has anyone successfully played an MPEG video
> under Fedora-9?
> If so, could you tell me what application you used,
> and (if possible) any special codecs you installed.

Yes. Using the Livna repo, I've installed mplayer and VLC. Between the
two of them, they've managed to play most files. Adding the codec
package from the mplayer website helps to play some of the rarer file
formats in mplayer. Adding one or two of the gstreamer plugin packages
(bad or ugly, I can't remember) helps with playing some file formats
with some programs like Totem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 14:28 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 03:10 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > So I would ask again - has anyone successfully played an MPEG video
> > under Fedora-9?
> > If so, could you tell me what application you used,
> > and (if possible) any special codecs you installed.
>
> Yes. Using the Livna repo, I've installed mplayer and VLC. Between the
> two of them, they've managed to play most files. Adding the codec
> package from the mplayer website helps to play some of the rarer file
> formats in mplayer. Adding one or two of the gstreamer plugin packages
> (bad or ugly, I can't remember) helps with playing some file formats
> with some programs like Totem.
----
why not both?

gstreamer-plugins-bad
gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Craig

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 AM
John Munn

There does seem to be confusion in multimedia in Fedora, but, that is
because there are a lot of choices for players.* The second issue is
that Fedora insists on packaging only free software.* So, after you
select you player(s) you need to download the non-free codecs among
which is mpg video and mp3 audio, etc.

I am successfully using xine, kaffein and vlc media players to play mpg
& wmv, etc movies.* Also, flash movies in the browser (Youtube, et
al).** I've used RH linux & Fedora since RH 5.2.* Currently in FC 9
& FireFox 3 I do not have the browser plugins working properly for
wmv & mpg and I believe the problem lies with FireFox (haven't had
time to debug it yet).* I've never been thrilled with totem and haven't
spent the time to get it working right.

You can down load (using yum or your choice) the players from the
normal repositories.* You need to get the mpg codecs and other non-free
codecs from livna repository or other third party.* You can get many
for mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
.* Get xine codecs from livna.

John