Old 06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Grzesiek

Default Kernel - pata_via

Why standard Centos 5.2 kernel does not have a module "pata_via." I
have an old motherboard and IDE drive. The standard kernel does not
work. Kernel include a module "pata_via" only in centosplus. It is a
bug?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Grzesiek wrote on Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:21:14 +0200:

> Why standard Centos 5.2 kernel does not have a module "pata_via." I
> have an old motherboard and IDE drive.

FYI: I just upgraded a machine with old motherboard (VIA KT400 chipset),
Athlon XP and IDE drives with no problems and no pata_via driver present.
And, yes, your first message made it to the list.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Grzesiek <grz3chu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why standard Centos 5.2 kernel does not have a module "pata_via." I
> have an old motherboard and IDE drive. The standard kernel does not
> work. Kernel include a module "pata_via" only in centosplus. It is a
> bug?

pata_via is not enabled in the upstream kernel, not just 5.2 but in
earlier versions as well. It is the upstream' decision. CentOS users
are fortunate because Johnny Hughes offers the centosplus kernel in
which a number of modules are turned on to provide wider hardware
support.

Akemi