FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Friday 27 June 2008 23:35:35 Paul Schoonderwoerd wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 19:43:06 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > rm /var/clamav/* -rf
> > which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
> > back in the next step. As root, type
> > freshclam -v
> > And that will download all the necessary signatures again.
> > </quote>
> >
> > At that point I thought all was well - until I had to reboot, when I
> > found that it hung with a message (from memory) 'self-checking 1800'.
> > Using Interactive boot I discovered that it came from clamd.
> >
> > I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
> > somewhere other than /var/clamav. Maybe a symlink is required? If
> > someone with a working clamd could advise me I'd be most grateful. For
> > now I have had to chkconfig clamd off.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Does the /var/clamav dir still exist ? It is in the clamd rpm.
> mirrors.dat, daily.cld and main.cld are in /var/clamav
>
> It seems easiest to me to reinstall clamd and clamav.
>
It does. The original install was Dag's and worked without a problem. Then
came an update which broke ClamTK's operation. With the help of the ClamTK
dev that was fixed, but now I have this problem at bootup. What I haven't
tried, and will today, is booting with chkconfig off, but then starting clamd
from the CLI. If that is problem-free maybe I will need to talk to Dag.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 AM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Friday 27 June 2008 23:35:35 Paul Schoonderwoerd wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 19:43:06 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > rm /var/clamav/* -rf
> > which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
> > back in the next step. As root, type
> > freshclam -v
> > And that will download all the necessary signatures again.
> > </quote>
> >
> > At that point I thought all was well - until I had to reboot, when I
> > found that it hung with a message (from memory) 'self-checking 1800'.
> > Using Interactive boot I discovered that it came from clamd.
> >
> > I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
> > somewhere other than /var/clamav. Maybe a symlink is required? If
> > someone with a working clamd could advise me I'd be most grateful. For
> > now I have had to chkconfig clamd off.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Does the /var/clamav dir still exist ? It is in the clamd rpm.
> mirrors.dat, daily.cld and main.cld are in /var/clamav
>
> It seems easiest to me to reinstall clamd and clamav.
>
I tried starting clamd from a ssh session and this is what I saw:

service clamd start
Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: Limits: Global size limit set to 104857600
bytes.
Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
Archive support enabled.
Algorithmic detection enabled.
Portable Executable support enabled.
ELF support enabled.
Detection of broken executables enabled.
Mail files support enabled.
OLE2 support enabled.
PDF support enabled.
HTML support enabled.
Self checking every 1800 seconds.
Socket file removed.
Pid file removed.
--- Stopped at Sat Jun 28 10:13:34 2008
[ OK ]
It appeared to hang at the 'self checking' line, and I left it for several
minutes before using Ctrl-C. Is this something I have to let it do to
correct things, or is it something that should not be happening? It is the
same 'self checking' line that appears to hang bootup.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default Clamd not working

Anne Wilson wrote on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:43:06 +0100:

> I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
> somewhere other than /var/clamav.

did you test if clamscan works?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Clamd not working

AnneWilson wrote:
> I tried starting clamd from a ssh session and this is what I saw:
>
> service clamd start
> Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: Limits: Global size limit set to 104857600
> bytes.
> Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
> Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
> Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
> Archive support enabled.
> Algorithmic detection enabled.
> Portable Executable support enabled.
> ELF support enabled.
> Detection of broken executables enabled.
> Mail files support enabled.
> OLE2 support enabled.
> PDF support enabled.
> HTML support enabled.
> Self checking every 1800 seconds.
> Socket file removed.
> Pid file removed.
> --- Stopped at Sat Jun 28 10:13:34 2008
> [ OK ]
> It appeared to hang at the 'self checking' line, and I left it for several
> minutes before using Ctrl-C.

It looks as if it isn't started as a daemon from within your start
script (meaning that it doesn't detach and go into the background).

Do you somehow have an uncommented

Foreground

in your /etc/clamd.conf?

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 PM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Saturday 28 June 2008 13:49:24 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> AnneWilson wrote:
> > I tried starting clamd from a ssh session and this is what I saw:
> >
> > service clamd start
> > Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: Limits: Global size limit set to
> > 104857600 bytes.
> > Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
> > Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
> > Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
> > Archive support enabled.
> > Algorithmic detection enabled.
> > Portable Executable support enabled.
> > ELF support enabled.
> > Detection of broken executables enabled.
> > Mail files support enabled.
> > OLE2 support enabled.
> > PDF support enabled.
> > HTML support enabled.
> > Self checking every 1800 seconds.
> > Socket file removed.
> > Pid file removed.
> > --- Stopped at Sat Jun 28 10:13:34 2008
> > [ OK ]
> > It appeared to hang at the 'self checking' line, and I left it for
> > several minutes before using Ctrl-C.
>
> It looks as if it isn't started as a daemon from within your start
> script (meaning that it doesn't detach and go into the background).
>
> Do you somehow have an uncommented
>
> Foreground
>
> in your /etc/clamd.conf?
>
Got it Ralph! I don't know why it was uncommented, when it had worked
previously, but I have fixed that and now it restarts without a problem.

Thanks

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:13 PM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Saturday 28 June 2008 13:31:14 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:43:06 +0100:
> > I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
> > somewhere other than /var/clamav.
>
> did you test if clamscan works?
>
As such, no, but as far as I know, ClamTK is just a gui front-end to clamscan,
and that works. Ralph found the problem. For some reason 'Foreground' was
uncommented.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Saturday 28 June 2008 13:49:24 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> AnneWilson wrote:
> > I tried starting clamd from a ssh session and this is what I saw:
> >
> > service clamd start
> > Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: Limits: Global size limit set to
> > 104857600 bytes.
> > Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
> > Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
> > Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
> > Archive support enabled.
> > Algorithmic detection enabled.
> > Portable Executable support enabled.
> > ELF support enabled.
> > Detection of broken executables enabled.
> > Mail files support enabled.
> > OLE2 support enabled.
> > PDF support enabled.
> > HTML support enabled.
> > Self checking every 1800 seconds.
> > Socket file removed.
> > Pid file removed.
> > --- Stopped at Sat Jun 28 10:13:34 2008
> > [ OK ]
> > It appeared to hang at the 'self checking' line, and I left it for
> > several minutes before using Ctrl-C.
>
> It looks as if it isn't started as a daemon from within your start
> script (meaning that it doesn't detach and go into the background).
>
> Do you somehow have an uncommented
>
> Foreground
>
> in your /etc/clamd.conf?
>
One more question, please.

My logs this morning show

/etc/cron.daily/freshclam:

connect(): No such file or directory

It does exist, but it is owned root:root.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 456 Jun 9 19:53 /etc/cron.daily/freshclam

Shouldn't this be owned by clamav? Are there other files I should check for
ownership?

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Clamd not working

AnneWilson wrote:
> One more question, please.
>
> My logs this morning show
>
> /etc/cron.daily/freshclam:
>
> connect(): No such file or directory
>
> It does exist, but it is owned root:root.
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 456 Jun 9 19:53 /etc/cron.daily/freshclam
>
> Shouldn't this be owned by clamav? Are there other files I should check for
> ownership?

No, and this is not the error. What happens when you run freshclam by
hand?

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
AnneWilson
 
Default Clamd not working

On Saturday 28 June 2008 19:41:56 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> AnneWilson wrote:
> > One more question, please.
> >
> > My logs this morning show
> >
> > /etc/cron.daily/freshclam:
> >
> > connect(): No such file or directory
> >
> > It does exist, but it is owned root:root.
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 456 Jun 9 19:53 /etc/cron.daily/freshclam
> >
> > Shouldn't this be owned by clamav? Are there other files I should check
> > for ownership?
>
> No, and this is not the error. What happens when you run freshclam by
> hand?
>
freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Sat Jun 28 19:58:20 2008
main.cld is up to date (version: 47, sigs: 312304, f-level: 31, builder: sven)
daily.cld is up to date (version: 7583, sigs: 19723, f-level: 31, builder:
mcichosz)

I seem to have been getting the daily updates. I've not seen the error
message before. Perhaps it's just because clamd was not started at bootup
(or at all before freshclam ran), do you think?

Since you found my problem earlier today clamd is running. Perhaps I should
wait to see what logwatch tells me in the morning.

Anne
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Clamd not working

AnneWilson wrote:
> I seem to have been getting the daily updates. I've not seen the error
> message before. Perhaps it's just because clamd was not started at bootup
> (or at all before freshclam ran), do you think?

Yes. Because freshclam tries to tell clamd that there have been updates,
so that clamd reloads the databases. So if clamd wasn't running,
freshclam cannot connect to it.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org