Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM
AnneWilson

Default Clamd not working

On Saturday 28 June 2008 20:38:15 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> AnneWilson wrote:
> > I seem to have been getting the daily updates. I've not seen the error
> > message before. Perhaps it's just because clamd was not started at
> > bootup (or at all before freshclam ran), do you think?
>
> Yes. Because freshclam tries to tell clamd that there have been updates,
> so that clamd reloads the databases. So if clamd wasn't running,
> freshclam cannot connect to it.

Immediately after the update to clamav it wasn't running, but I got a
different message then, so I didn't recognise this one. I'll let you know
what logwatch says in the morning. Thanks for the help

Anne

Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
AnneWilson

On Saturday 28 June 2008 21:30:51 AnneWilson wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2008 20:38:15 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > AnneWilson wrote:
> > > I seem to have been getting the daily updates. I've not seen the error
> > > message before. Perhaps it's just because clamd was not started at
> > > bootup (or at all before freshclam ran), do you think?
> >
> > Yes. Because freshclam tries to tell clamd that there have been updates,
> > so that clamd reloads the databases. So if clamd wasn't running,
> > freshclam cannot connect to it.
>
> Immediately after the update to clamav it wasn't running, but I got a
> different message then, so I didn't recognise this one. I'll let you know
> what logwatch says in the morning. Thanks for the help

This morning's report ended with ' Database correctly reloaded (332027
signatures)', so it looks as though the problem is solved. I haven't tested
a reboot, but I think it's safe to assume that 'Foreground' was the problem.

Thanks for all the help

Anne